Building a Tensorflow Object Detection and Localization ROS Package

Paco - I’ll clear some time out next week to clean up the code and put it out on github. I’ll try to get it into a downloadable package for ROS too, if I can squeeze it in. I like to think there aren’t that many dependencies and it should work fine, but I know better than to blindly believe that :slight_smile:

Kukanani - Pip can install tensorflow with or without GPU (assuming CuDNN, etc.). If you’re doing other data sciencey stuff it can cause versioning / dependency issues by forcing some version upgrades (at least it’s happened to me in the past, not sure how much of that still remains). For a lot of applications, I couldn’t imagine not using GPU for Tensorflow. But then there’s things like mobilenet and the Raspberry Pi, so it could be the case. Right now I’m favoring throwing an error about Tensorflow not being installed and point out the options, than having Tensorflow-CPU or -GPU be a dependency.

Thanks for recommending vision-msgs - I’ll take a look. The current version of my code only returns pictures with bounding boxes, but returning probabilities / classifications / etc will be easy.