ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

Final call: ROS Summer Course 2018 - Online & Certificate

FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION : Intensive ROS Summer Course - Online & Certificate

• Registration deadline: August 16, 2018

==============================================================
Intensive ROS Summer Online Course

Date: August 20 - September 1, 2018

Duration: 2 Weeks

Apply here: http://www.theconstructsim.com/intensive-ros-summer-online-course/

==============================================================

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

• Available spots: 30 students

• Languages: English

• ROS certification: Provided

COURSE OVERVIEW

Practice-based intensive ROS learning

A completely ROS course that combines theory and practice. We will give you the basic tools and knowledge to understand and create basics ROS related project fast. With comprehensive exercises with diverse simulations, you will get fast into the ROS development world in a more efficient way.

• Learn ROS by programming robots:

You will learn ROS by executing code and using diverse robot simulations in a visual and efficient way

• Apply to ROS-Projects:

You will develop to projects where you will apply what you have learned in each unit

• Exam & ROS Certification:

You will perform 2 exams to test the knowledge that you have acquired along the week. Only those students that get 8 points out of 10 will get the certification issued by The Construct

COURSES SCHEDULE

Week 1

• Monday

• Unit 1: How ROS Basic Structure works

• Start Unit 2: ROS Topics - Work on Project -1 Section 1

• Tuesday

• Finish Unit 2: ROS Topics

• Unit 5: ROS Debugging Tools

• Fish Project -1 Section 1

• Wednesday

• Start Unit 3: ROS Services

• Fish Project -1 Section 2

• Thursday

• Finish Unit 3: ROS Services

• Start Unit 4: ROS Actions

• Fish Project -1 Section 3

• Friday

• Finish Unit 4: ROS Actions

• Fish Project -1 Section 4

• Saturday

• Exam 1

Week 2

• Monday

• Unit 6: Mapping

• Unit 7: Localization

• Unit 8: Path Planning

• Work on Project -2 Section 1

• Tuesday

• Unit 9: Face recognition

• Unit 10: People detection

• Work on Project -2 Section 2

• Wednesday

• Unit 11: ROS Control 1

• Unit 12: ROS Control 2

• Unit 13: ROS Control 3

• Work on Project -2 Section 3

• Thursday

• Unit 14: ROS Industrial 1

• Unit 15: ROS Industria 2

• Unit 16: ROS Industria 3

• Work on Project -2 Section 4

• Friday

• Unit 17: OpenAI ROS 1

• Unit 18: OpenAI ROS 2

• Unit 19: OpenAI ROS 3

• Work on Project -2 Section 5

• Saturday

• Exam 2

ROBOT SIMULATION USED IN THE COURSE:

• Husky

• BB-8

• WAM ARM

• Parrot AR.Drone

• Sphero

• Turtlebot 2

• Jibo

• Mira robot

• Fetch

• UR5

REQUIREMENT

• FULL DAY DEDICATION

• Basic knowledge of Linux shell

• Basic knowledge of Python programming

• A laptop ( can have any operating system)

• NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF ROS REQUIRED

ORGANIZERS

The Construct http://www.theconstructsim.com/

An online integrated platform for learning and developing ROS-based Robots.

You can contact us with questions and doubts here: info@theconstructsim.com

What does this certification actually mean? Has anyone in industry or OSRF given it a rubber stamp to indicate that this is a useful course and gives enough context to be meaningful in a hiring cycle?

I think this topic has been brought up before without much as to a conclusion or actions from The Construct to validate that the industry wants this or that this particular course offers what is needed for me as a hiring manager to look at this and say “this person knows enough ROS to satisfy my needs” for a ~$600 USD pricetag at the expense of students trying to get a job in the field.

I’d love to hear some feedback from the construct as to who they’ve chatted with as accepting this certification as they advertise on the page that is makes them “job ready”.

Thanks for the comment Steve,
we have not got a third party certification. The whole course is based in our experience as workers, researchers and teachers in the ROS world for several years.

Since you work for a robotics company and you are a ROS expert, we would be very happy to have a live chat with you and hear your opinion about which requirements must a ROS course have in order to be certifiable as ‘job ready’.

No attachment from your side! Just we would like to know your opinion and start building a DB of experts in the field opinions, so the next time that somebody asks this question, we can at least, provide a statistic from the experts.

Does that suit you?

P.S. Sorry for the late reply. But we believe that better late than never.

Hello @smac,

Rather than asking who’s certifying the ROS courses, the actual question that matters to us at Acutronic Robotics is what do these profiles that include an item listed as ROS expertise or Experience with ROS actually mean with that.

That simply they’ve installed ROS and went through the wiki.ros.org tutorials? That it was part of one of their grad or undergrad courses? That they’ve contributed to the navigation stack? Not likely this last one since those that have contributed to relevant packages, tend to list it. At least that’s my experience hiring.

Of course, you could claim that you somehow figure that out through questioning and exercises but we particularly would benefit a lot optimizing this step. Having people sending their applications with small certifications (at this stage, all the ROS courses are self-certified including @TheConstruct’s but also the ones from other sources such as Udacity, EdX or others) allow us to go through the ROS-specific syllabus and understand what these profiles “should know”.

Looking at @TheConstruct courses, IMHO their portfolio is starting to become wide enough to cover relevant topics of ROS.

Thank you Victor for stating so clear what is actually relevant to address on a ROS certificate.

Let’s use your comments to ignite the creation of a open definition of ROS certification levels, defining the subjects and exercises that need to be mastered on them. Also let’s include how the certification process should be ensured, so any academy implementing it can actually certify that their students are really certified on those terms.

We are going to create a group here in Discourse so anybody from the industry, research and ROS development world can have a say and help create a common syllabus, and testing procedure for a certification for any academy in the world.

We can call this an open source certification :wink:

I think we might be going in a different direction than I intended. It’s not that I think its important there’s some generalized set of things someone must learn to qualify for a given “certification level”, its the fact that the curriculum seems to not have been created with informed opinions from industry about elements that should be included to represent a real hiring advantage by having the certification you are trying to provide. If this was branded as just a course to learn ROS that’s one thing, but that’s not how the webpages read.

When you make claims like “job ready” without actually talking to folks that are hiring roboticists/ROS users, it seems like false advertising and some mis-information for non-robotics folks/graduate students - potentially leading to false expectations of their skill level leaving or the marketability of a certification. A certification won’t mean much (or anything) to anyone hiring roboticists if they didn’t have a say in what was covered or even knowing a list of things this certification would let me expect them to know. Udacity can do what they do because the coursework is widely available and I can see what it is someone with a nano-degree is expected to know and generally the skillsets taught in a course like that are reasonably in-depth (as far as you can in a few months) for the ~800 price tag.

I don’t think any organization - except by a larger decree from OR or similar status organization - should define what it means to be certified in ROS or the surrounding ecosystem. However if you made aware what your certification does, and it actually represents a significant volume of knowledge beyond that of a graduate student’s messing around with research for a few years, that could represent value to hiring folks. But that’s still not really enough to claim “job ready”, I think that claim requires some type of partnership or extensive polling of robotics companies to make this certification carry weight to be a meaningful influencer in hiring cycles.

tl;dr this seems to be a more extended version of what @vmayoral mentioned, with an additional dive into the “job ready” claim that I take issue with.