How to use vector maps in autoware localization node

Hello Everyone,

I am working with autoware and I am much interested in the localization and mission planning (Path planning). Now i have tested and understood about LIDAR localizer with autoware provided sample data sets ( sample_moriyama_150324.bag, pcd files, vector map files), also with our custom datasets which includes .bag file, point cloud map and vector maps.
Question 1:
Even though vector maps loading correctly without any issues, I wonder how these vector maps are utilized in the autoware localization? In general, I understood the significance of vector maps in the localization, but I didn’t get how and where autoware making use of these vector maps?
Lidar localizer with loaded vector maps:
Selection_070

Question 2:
Also, i have tried to test mission planning in the autoware with the demo dataset provided. When starting mission_planning node, i am getting a following error message in the terminal.
starting mission_planning:
Selection_071
Error Message in the terminal:
Selection_072

Appreciate your kind assistance, Thanks.

Regards,
Ajay

Answer to Question 1:
Vector map is not used for localization. Vector map is used in other nodes such as region_tlr for traffic light detection and decision_maker to stop at stop lines. Only LiDAR data and pointcloud map is used for localization, and optionally IMU, GNSS, and Odometry information.
FYI, I know there are people who are trying to use whitelines in vector map to improve localization, but we don’t have that in Autoware yet.

1 Like

Answer to Question 2:
The launch file is not updated for the latest config message type.
Please edit line 20 of my_mission_planning.launch as following.
- args="pub -l /config/waypoint_loader autoware_msgs/ConfigWaypointLoader
+ args="pub -l /config/waypoint_loader autoware_config_msgs/ConfigWaypointLoader

For develop branch, edit as following.
- args="pub -l /config/waypoint_loader autoware_msgs/ConfigWaypointLoader
+ args="pub -l /config/waypoint_replanner autoware_config_msgs/ConfigWaypointReplanner

1 Like

@mitsudome-r Thank you for the detailed information. I will check region_ltr and decission_maker nodes. By the way is it any camera dataset available to test the autoware detection module ?

Thanks

@isamu-takagi Thank you, now its working well :slight_smile: