Integration of 6-axis manipulator and 2-axis positioner (external axes)

@gavanderhoorn: both manipulator and positioner are integrated with a DX200 controller. Here is Eric Marcil’s answer to a similar question:

Yes, the same controller will support both the robot and the station. Each one is considered a control group.

So any example combining two robots is essentially the same as combining a robot with a station. The only difference is that the station has less joints.

If you look in the simple message structure there is a field for groupNo. For your system:

0 = robot
1 = station

If I remember correctly, there are two approaches.

You can send multiple messages for each group using SmBodyJointTrajPtFull
Or you can send a single message with multiple group info using SmBodyJointTrajPtFullEx

I believe that the second one is usually recommended if you are trying to coordinate the motion between both groups.

So I think our system is in deed setup as a multi-group system. It has actually not been delivered yet but we should have it up and running some time in March. So far, I have been running moveit_planning_execution.launch sim:=true to simulate the robot and that is when I’ve run into the above errors. So the question would also be whether the industrial robot simulator has multi-group capabilities since simulating the robot prior to execution is also required.

I have not configured the motoman_driver but will look into that next.