Intel Cancelling its Realsense business: Alternatives?

Great list, everyone! Brandon here from Luxonis here. I had somehow missed this thread and @Katherine_Scott kindly pointed it out to me today. (Thanks, @Katherine_Scott !)

To add to this list, we also have a list with more depth/stereo/etc. solutions here.

And thanks everyone for the feedback on OAK-D! Since knowing what is coming down the pike in terms of OAK-D might be helpful here (spoiler: we’re not cancelled) I figured it would be worthwhile to share what we have in the works.

Agreed - our ROS is in development. We think we will have a solid ROS solution in September. Right now basic support is there - but things like manual framerate control, exposure settings, etc. are missing. @saching13 is working on adding these now and then we will get official apt-get installable packages out.

For higher FOV, we don’t support this off-the-shelf, but we have had a slew of folks integrate high-FOV into their own custom products/solutions (using our OAK-SOM in their product). See the ArduCam pin-compatible version here for example. And we now support mesh calibration/rectification/etc. so these wide-FOV can be used for depth/etc.

And this actually can even be installed on the OAK-D PCBA, if you’re so brave to take it out of the enclosure:

We’re more than up for making requests as well. So if say this wide FOV + laser emitter/etc. is of interest, we may be able to make it happen.

And for custom solutions, we already do have quite a few end-user-products where such a thing has been done (particularly in small robots). The open-source designs make this a lot easier/faster.

Yes - all our current solutions (Hardware Github here) use passive stereo depth (Census Transform based).

We are working on the following though:

• OAK-D with IR laser dot projection (active stereo depth) and IR LED blanket illumination. We’ll likely call this OAK-D-PRO.
  • Time of Flight (w/ option to add stereo depth as well - and potentially also active).

Here’s OAK-D-PRO with the laser dot projector and IR blanket illuminator:

We’ll release this as soon as we get through laser-safety certification.

And here’s the initial (not-yet-dialed-in) ToF on OAK-D:

The timeline on ToF is a bit less known, but it’s working!

Our mounting/enclosure/etc. on the current OAK-D is not what it should be. (It was my fault; wrong calls on my part). We’ve since listened to feedback from our customers (and thanks for being one!) and corrected this in future designs.

So all of the next-gen we’re working on will have VESA- (75mm-) spaced M4 mounting on the back for easier/more-secure mounting and inclusion of the finished camera into a robot/etc. The current plan is below:

It’s often a bit hard to tell what CAD renderings really look like in terms of size, so below gives an idea:

So this has the tripod mount on the bottom, and then 2x M4 mounting holes spaced at 7.5cm on the back. (And then of course we have our OAK-SOM series for inclusion of this into custom products/etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
-Brandon from Luxonis

6 Likes