Learn (OpenCV in ROS) for Beginners in my Udemy Course

Hello,

I have a good news for beginners ROS users!

I have added a new section on OpenCV with ROS in my Udemy course entitled
ROS for Beginners: Basics, Motion, and OpenCV

The section presents how an image is represented in OpenCV and demonstrates the most important and basic features of OpenCV for computer vision and image processing and how it is used with ROS.
I also illustrate the concept of CvBridge that converts images between ROS and OpenCV.
More videos about OpenCV for computer vision and image processing are planned the coming days …

1. ROS Basics and Foundation: which deals with the general ROS concepts that everyone has to know, like ROS topics, Services, Messages, Nodes, …

2. Motion in ROS: We apply the concepts learned in Step 1 to make a robot move. We will develop different trajectory in the context of a nice example simulating a cleaning robot

3)Perception in ROS: I will introduce how a robot see the environment using a camera, how the images are collected in ROS and how they are processed in OpenCV.

Based on my experience, these are the most important things any new ROS user has to know to be able to go further with his own robotics project.

I am developing a course project for students who completed the course to apply the knowledge they learned in the lecture to develop a complete solution that includes motion and perception.

I extend the special discount at only 9.99 USD 48-hours more by enrolling the course with this coupon
https://www.udemy.com/ros-essentials/?couponCode=ROSDISCOURSE1

If you are beginner in ROS, feel lost among many documentations and tutorials, can’t get a clear picture of “ROS mechanics”, then this is the perfect course for your to start with!

Anis
Course Instructor

Dear Anis,

Please confirm thisis included in my course content. I am a member of Ros Agriculture Community and this course will become handy in setting me up. I may recommend it to my coleagues if found to be useful.

For your information, we are looking at automating field tractors, starting with lawnmowers. Hence, there is a need for a Ros course. I know thre are many out there and am hopping that this will be more helpful.

Kind regards

Collen Gura
CAG FARMS (PVT) LTD
t/a
Green Valley Estates
Chakari
Head Office:
13 Downie Avenue,
Belgravia,
HARARE
P.O. Box 3589, Harare, Zimbabwe
Tel: +263-4-2925630/1
Cell: +263 772 148 640, +263 731 148 640,
E-mail: cgplumway@gmail.com

This message is for the named person’s use only. it may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you received this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. CAG FARMS (Pvt) LTD and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Hi Collen

Thanks for the note.
Yes, my course provide a comprehensive introduction to important concepts of ROS, all what is needed to know to be able to go further in ROS. So, definitely, if you are exploring ROS, you will find this course useful. I am actively working on adding more content every day to my course so as to address any concern for new ROS users (as I know there are many in the beginning of learning ROS).

Also, If you need technical support in your area of interest, then we can talk.

Thanks
Anis

Dear Anis,

Please HELP!!

I am trying to follow the ROS setup with difficulty.
01For starters, the volume is very, very low. One can hardly hear anything.

2) Setting up process still very difficult to follow.  Unless I am missing something, very little by  way of procedures has been sown for students using Windows 10 computer system.
May I suggest that the process be  reduced to point form on a sheet of paper. I think this would be very very helpful.
3) I have downloaded Ubuntu and before doing so for 16.04 I am stuck. It is not clear to proceed from here.
4) If it is recommended that we use virtual machines, be kind to show us how without complicating it with discussions of alternatives. Once done, the subject of alternatives can then be raised.
5) My course material does not seem to have the the promised improvements . Am I missing something?

Collen Gura
CAG FARMS (PVT) LTD
t/a
Green Valley Estates
Chakari
Head Office:
13 Downie Avenue,
Belgravia,
HARARE

This message is for the named person’s use only. it may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you received this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. CAG FARMS (Pvt) LTD and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Can you please post these questions on the course forum and I will address them all on this link
https://www.udemy.com/ros-essentials/learn/v4/questions
Thanks

I also provide a ready to use virtual machine with ROS pre-installed to all students so that they can start learning right away without spending time on installations.
I will also add a new video on how to install on a VM, which is the best option to work with ROS.

Course forum is not taking in questions. I tried before posting it here.

Collen Gura
CAG FARMS (PVT) LTD
t/a
Green Valley Estates
Chakari
Head Office:
13 Downie Avenue,
Belgravia,
HARARE

Just tried and its now fucntioning well.

Collen Gura
CAG FARMS (PVT) LTD
t/a
Green Valley Estates
Chakari
Head Office:
13 Downie Avenue,
Belgravia,
HARARE