How to Use ROS with Python3
Live Class link: https://youtu.be/oxK4ykVh1EE
LIVE DATE & TIME
Scheduled for February 11, 2020 @ 6pm - 7pm CET
WHAT WE WILL BE DOING
In this class, you will learn how to execute a ROS program that requires the use of some libraries that only exist for Python3.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN CLASS #81
- How to create a Python3 virtual environment with the required libraries
- How to install Python3 libraries in that environment either from
pipor from source
- How to re-compile ROS packages for Python3
- How to create your ROS application to use that Python3 virtual environment
Why is it so important to learn this topic?
Although we are used to working with Python 2 in ROS for most of the required packages and processes, many times we face situations where we must use scripts in python 3, such as artificial vision or different learning methods like reinforcement learning.
One of the most practical methods for using Python 3 with certain scripts that we will use in our robot is to create a virtual environment, that is, a workspace that is running python 3. This virtual environment will work in a terminal totally independent from the rest of the files, so we will learn to create and use it correctly . You are going see how a robot learns to move forward (along the y axis) using OpenAI Baseline DeepQ , which will need python 3, so follow along in this interesting class…
The robot we will be using is the Cubli robot.
PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Basics of Linux. If you don’t have that knowledge, check this FREE online course.
ROS Basics. If you don’t have that knowledge, check this online course.
Supplementary Content- Python 3 for robotics. If you want more knowledge of the topic, check this online course.
HOW TO JOIN THE CLASS
- FREE event open for everyone, the only thing you may need to do is “set reminder” on our YouTube channel.
- We will share the full ROSject (containing robot simulation, notebook with instructions and code) with all the attendants at the beginning of the class. Remember to be on time.
- In Live Classes, you will practice with the instructor at the same time, with the provided free ROS material.
If you missed the class, you can find the ROSject files and full-code used in the class at the Robot Ignite Academy: https://www.robotigniteacademy.com