New packages for Galactic Geochelone 2022-03-14

Happy Pi Day! :pie:

This sync brings 5 new packages to Galactic and updates 70 others. Thanks very much to the many developers that were a part of this effort, including the 27 maintainers listed below.

ros/rosdistro tag: galactic/2022-03-14

Added Packages [5]:

• ros-galactic-gscam: 2.0.1-1
  • ros-galactic-ign-ros2-control: 0.2.0-1
  • ros-galactic-ign-ros2-control-demos: 0.2.0-1
  • ros-galactic-quaternion-operation: 0.0.11-1
  • ros-galactic-ros2-controllers-test-nodes: 1.4.0-1

Updated Packages [70]:

Removed Packages [2]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

• Alejandro Hernandez
  • Alejandro Hernández
  • Bence Magyar
  • Chris Lalancette
  • Davide Faconti
  • Denis Štogl
  • Doron Hirshberg
  • Fabien Spindler
  • Felix Ruess
  • Jonathan Bohren
  • Jose-Luis Blanco-Claraco
  • Josh Whitley
  • Karsten Knese
  • Mabel Zhang
  • Martin Günther
  • Masaya Kataoka
  • Max Krogius
  • Miguel Company
  • Rob Fisher
  • Sergey Dorodnicov
  • Victor Lopez
  • Vladimir Ermakov
  • daf
  • ijnek
  • karsten
  • robosense
  • ruess

Why was ros-galactic-realsense2-camera removed? Is there an alternative?

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you for your work maintaining these packages! We would also like to know why these two packages were removed? Do you plan on re-supporting these packages in the near future? If not, do you have any suggestions for alternatives? Is it possible to apt install older package versions? Both packages removed in this update are integral to our active research :slight_smile:

These two packages were updated by their maintainers and were longer building successfully. They had been broken for weeks at the time of the freeze. I noted this in the sync freeze announcement, but I forgot to clarify that here.

The maintainers of plotjuggler_ros have released a new version which appears to have resolved their regression, so that package will return with the next sync.

The maintainers of realsense2_camera have released a new version which did not resolve the regression, so that package is still broken.

1 Like

Thanks for notifying,

We are working on a fix for ‘realsense2_camera’.
Expect a new version early next week.

As for a workaround, you can build version 4.0.3 from source, the issue is only on debian creation.

1 Like

Understood, thank you both for explaining!

When will the next sync occur? Is it correct that the syncs determine what is available on the debian apt repositories? Apologies if these questions or related information are posted somewhere, I’m new here and still learning the way around.

Thank you!

Hi,

Just following up on this question:

I am happy to say that realsense2_camera is 4.0.4 is stable at the Ubuntu/testing server waiting for sync.
You can install it from the testing server for now as a workaround.

Regarding the sync period, good question.
I also like to know about it.

1 Like

When will the next sync occur?

The short answer is “when necessary.” Most distros seem to sync on a 2-4 week cadence.

Is it correct that the syncs determine what is available on the debian apt repositories?

That’s precisely what syncs do. Intermittent regressions are moderately common, so the syncs give us an opportunity to stage the set of packages and triage any regressions before making the updates available to end users.

You can install it from the testing server for now as a workaround.

Indeed! Here are some docs on that.

Since both of the regressed packages are now building successfully again, I think that’s a good reason to put another sync on the calendar. I think I’ll shoot for 3/29, if that sounds okay?

Thanks!

1 Like

Sounds great, thanks!
1 thing I still don’t understand is if realsense2_camera version 3.2.3 were stable at the main branch, and than we released 4.0.2 who failed building a binary.
Why was the former 3.2.3 removed from the main?
Isn’t it better just to reject the update?
Thanks

Sounds great, thank you for the updates and explanation! Much appreciated. I will look into the testing server, and otherwise be on the lookout for the sync (3/29 is perfect for me). Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Thank you both!

In short, this is left completely up to the maintainer of the package. If they’d like to go back to an old version, there is always the option for the maintainer to downgrade to the last working version. Sometimes the ROS Boss will do that for them, but we really don’t have the bandwidth to monitor every package in the community. When the package doesn’t get downgraded or otherwise fixed, we end up removing the package (hopefully temporarily).

2 Likes

The next sync has been scheduled. We’ll start holding PRs tomorrow evening and if all goes well, we’ll complete the sync on Thursday.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.