ROS 2 TSC Meeting January 20th, 2022

Bummer, and really sorry to hear this @herb-kuta-lge and other LG folks. Thanks for your contributions to meta-ros, for making it great and for maintaining it for the last few years.

meta-ros is a pretty important project for the community and centric to industrial deployment of ROS. There’re many companies depending on it AFAIK. With LG dropping it, will there be Tier 3 [s] support for Humble as indicated in REP-2000? This essentially requires Yocto recipes maintained, tested and released. superflore is a fantastic initiative, but as of today, I already noticed that some Yocto recipes in the rolling branch (across Yocto release branches) have diverged and require updates. This means someone building for rolling today will struggle (which can be translated to Humble soonish).

@Katherine_Scott any plans on who’ll maintain this down the road? If none, I could try and sell this internally at Xilinx and see if I could get the resources to maintain it. I have Yocto and OpenEmbedded experience myself [1] [2] [3]. Let me know if this is of interest please.

1. Various contributions in the early days of meta-ros through the Beagle-ROS project. ↩︎

2. My team in the past contributed a straight ROS 2 port of the Yocto recipes at meta-ros2. ↩︎

3. I’ve been maintaining the firmware for various boards (e.g. KV260 or ZCU102) which is based on Yocto. ↩︎