Please disseminate to interested people
For the first time, the Robotics and Internet of Things lab at Prince Sultan University offers internships for outstanding Master and PhD students interns, for a duration of one to six months, to work on robotics, IoT and deep learning projects.
The mission of the Robotics and Internet of Things lab is to develop innovative solutions for mobile robots, unmanned aerial systems, and sensor networks applications. In particular, we aim at developing protocols, services and intelligent algorithms to use these systems through the Internet while integrating them into the cloud. The objective of cloud integration is to (1) virtualize the access to these systems through abstract interfaces, (2) take advantage of cloud resources to offload computations from these systems to the cloud. We are also interested in developing deep learning solutions to analyze data collected from robots/drones/sensors in different contexts of applications, such as surveillance, people behavior monitoring, self-driving systems, disaster management, crowd management, etc.
The candidate must demonstrate to have strong technical skills and to be eager to address scientific challenges and problems, and to be very dynamic. The RIOTU Lab addresses multi-disciplinary research areas, but we particularly consider the following research priorities and interests, which include:
- Mobile Robots
- Multi-Robot Coordination
- Cloud Robotics
- Integration of Robots to Internet and Cloud
- Robot Software Engineering
- Robot Operating System (ROS, ROS2)
- Computer Vision
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Remote Sensing
- Aerial Surveillance Systems
- Design and Control of Drones
- Integration of UAS to Internet and Cloud
- Remote Sensing
- Networking and Protocols
- Big Data Analytics, etc.
- LoRA-based IoT
- Security, Trust and Privacy
- Web Services and SOA
- Deep Learning and Data Science
- Self-Driving Cars
- Convolutional Neural Networks
- Semantic Segmentation
- Aerial Images Analysis
- People Behavior Analysis
The candidate must have sufficient background to work on any project in the above research interest and must demonstrate some previous experience with the related topics.
The candidate is expected to deliver at least one submission to a high quality journal as outcome of the internship.
Successful candidates will be provided with financial support that includes hosting, accommodation and living allowance during the period of the internship by Prince Sultan University. They will have access to the excellent research facilities (robots, drones, sensors, cloud, IoT devices, printers, etc.) and resources of the RIOTU lab. The living allowance will be decided based on the scope of the project, duration, skills of the candidates, and the expected outcomes of the internship.
Skills / Job Requirements
- Currently is a M.S. or PhD Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or related fields
- Excellent knowledge of programming languages (Java, Python, C,C++), …
- Experience with one of research themes of RIOTU lab
- Prior experience with of Linux and development on Linux systems
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team
- Be very dynamic and self-motivated
- Excellent writing skills of technical and research papers in English
- Excellent spoken skills in English
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to deliver on challenging software development tasks
Deep Learning, TensorFlow, Keras, Robot Operating System (ROS), OpenCV, GPU programming,
Duration: 1-6 months
Position is available starting from January 2019. Applications will be open until otherwise notified.
How and what to apply?
To apply for a Master level internship, you must be already pursing Master studies or already having a Master degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or related fields.
To apply for a PhD level internship, you must be already pursing PhD studies in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or related fields.
To submit your application, Fill in the application form
In case your application has interest to us, we will contact you to send complementary documents, including CV, and expected research plan.
In case your application is not positive, you will not receive a feedback from us.
Robotics and Internet of Things Lab Overview
RIOTU Lab is a leading research at Prince Sultan University with several active researchers and students. The Robotics and Internet-of-Things research lab focuses on the integration of robots into the Internet of Things to promote new types of applications that leverage the use of these two technologies. RIOT has a long expertise in developing solutions for Internet-of-Things and Mobile Robots. The research lab also fosters its activities to be aligned with national priorities in particular the 2020 National Transformation Plan and 2030 Vision. In particular, with a strategic vision for the future, RIOT is working in emerging topics such as:
- Software Engineering for Cloud Robotics
- Big data analytics for IoT and Robotics applications
- Security and safety of drones
- Integration of robots/drones into the IoT and the Cloud
- Communication and Networking for the IoT
- AI Algorithms for Planning in Robotics
- Design of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and their applications
For more details: http://riotu.psu.edu.sa/
Prince Sultan University is a private non-profit university in Saudi Arabia to have been awarded ACCREDITATION by the NCAAA (National Commission for Assessment & Academic Accreditation). Further, it is the youngest university to have achieved such a milestone.
Prince Sultan University emphasizes excellence in teaching, research and community services. This commitment is best exemplified by PSU’s renowned “Education for Employment” program as well as our contracted initiatives with several governmental agencies and private companies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Prince Sultan University strives to promote its research impact and is looking for talented researchers to join and contribute to raise the research productivity at the University.