We have the SIG migration topics
However as we gain more experience with this forum we plan to move toward moving our larger mailing lists onto this discourse instance.
In particular there are two main mailing lists we use for the ROS ecosystem, ros-users and ros-release.
The exploration that lead us to use discourse was started with a request to ros-users in this thread where topics for ros-users were requested.
From that discussion a few categories were proposed. And cross referencing with our blog categories I’d suggest we setup the following categories for ros-users to be recategorized.
- Jobs (A place for job openings to be announced and archived)
- Events (Events can be announced, with reports and updated provided in the thread)
- Community Announcements (a place to announce new products, submit CFPs etc. )
- General Discussion ( a category for general discussions similar to ros-users in the past)
- ROS announce (a low volume channel for official announcements from the core team and major release announcements etc)
And for ros-release we can have a catch all for generic maintainers, and sub-categories for each rosdistro if there’s something distro specific.
Above is a strawman, does anyone else have suggestions for categories?
One thing I’ll point out is that migration guides typically suggest keeping the category count low until there’s demonstrated demand otherwise everyone will get tripped up in trying to categorize vs just getting involved.