NEC Laboratories Europe located in Heidelberg, Germany, is the European research center of NEC Corporation, a world leader in the computer and communications markets. Top researchers from more than 20 countries develop, pilot and bring to reality computing, networking, security and data science technologies through open innovation.
We are looking for a Research Scientist to join our cross-industry optimization and control research projects. You will develop artificial intelligence-inspired control technology focusing initially on autonomous driving applications. You will implement and validate algorithms in agile prototypes, support trials and technology transfer into solutions and services, produce patents and top-tier publications.
We support individual creativity, strong teamwork as well as top academic publications. English is the working language in the Laboratories. Initially, the position is limited to two years.
If you are passionate about innovation, driven by challenges and ready to bring your ideas from concepts to reality, we’d like to hear from you.
• Strong optimization and control algorithm skills in different methods, especially reinforcement learning and adaptive control
• Strong publication record; it is the top-tier venues that count.
• Good knowledge of machine learning methods
• Record of early developments up to at least working system-level prototype
• Familiarity with motion planning and control for vehicles or robots
• Real-world problem solving, hands-on mentality
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English. Japanese is a plus.
• Strong experience with C/C++, Python, MATLAB. Knowledge of ROS is a plus.
We expect a broad background in the areas of autonomous control and optimization, a Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, mathematics or physics (or MSc plus equivalent experience).
Please submit code samples from past projects as part of your application material.
Please send your application by 31 March 2017
electronically via the applications web system