ROS2 Cross compilation

Hi,

Following the multiple discussions around the cross-compilation of ROS2, I would like to combine all the effort under the same topic.

There are a couple of different link regarding the cross-compilation (for arm architecture):

The different instructions are using the same tools to achieve the cross-compilation:

• a cmake toolchainfile
  • docker/chroot + qemu to prepare the target filesystem
  • docker as environment for the cross-compilation

To simplify the life of the people who would like to cross-compile ros2 and concentrate the contribution on this topic at one place, I would like to:

• create a “ROS2 Cross-compilation” page with the instructions under ros index tutorials (I will do the PR in the coming days)
  • push the required files on the ros2/crosscompile repo (Docker files + cmake toolchainfile)

how does it sound ?
Please give me your opinions on this and any suggestions are welcome !

I agree 100%.

It would be nice to include in the repository some subdirectories for the most common platforms, containing scripts for creating a sysroot and cross-compiling.

I think that this is the biggest lack of the current tutorial: the provided instructions are easy to translate to other architectures as long as you don’t use a sysroot.

In any case I will be happy to contribute to this new repository!

EDIT: I just noticed this post from the ROSCon meetups

I agree as well. It would be so nice if there were a general guide to “cross-compile ROS2” for other platforms (RTOS as well).
I’m searching something on web about this topic but I found the same links which you already presented.
Could you let us know? thank you so much

Thanks for your support on this !

Here some news of my progress:

I’m almost done with the tutorial page. I add some general information about CMake and cross-compilation.

I’m still thinking on the best way to upstream the cross-compilation related files. The last idea is to create a ros2/crosscompile repo, which will contains a package with the same name.
This repo will come by default with a COLCON_IGNORE, allowing us to add it to the ros2.repos file. Native compilation will not be affected, and cross-compilation would be possible by simply removing this file.
This approach allows us to add a script to generate the sysroot with colcon, before the other packages.

Regarding the cross-compilation itself, I still have to ignore the following packages:

touch
ros2_ws/src/ros2/rviz/COLCON_IGNORE
ros2_ws/src/ros2/demos/intra_process_demo/COLCON_IGNORE
ros2_ws/src/ros2/demos/image_tools/COLCON_IGNORE
ros2_ws/src/ros2/robot_state_publisher/COLCON_IGNORE

@Silvia, I think support for RTOS is a more complicate topics than just cross-compilation. You will probably find more info on this if you look for “embedded ROS2” topics, like this one ROS2 Embedded SIG meeting #1

@lmayencourt additional request from my team:

Could we have an example of cross-compiling an application against a pre-built ROS2 (for example, to cross-compile https://github.com/ros-perception/vision_opencv without having to cross-compile ROS2 along with it)?

good point, I will see what I can add regarding this !

@Silvia, @lmayencourt, We have created and implementation of the rmw layer using Micro XRCE-DDS, a middleware specific for microcontrollers. Regarding the cross-compiling topic here I think you may want to check how we cross-compile part of the ROS 2 stack into an STM32, using an RTOS like NuttX.

The RTOS and cross-compilation interesting parts are in this repository (Following NuttX way):

https://github.com/microROS/apps/tree/feature/microROS_stm32-e407

It is a WIP project so any feedback, idea or question will be helpful.

Thank you all so much. I’ll investigate on your suggested links and If I 'll find something useful, I’m goint to share with you.

@BorjaOuterelo I can’t find a .cmake file to cross-compiling ROS2 in NuttX in your microROS/apps link. Is there? how do you perform the cross-compilation?

Please, have a look at the first version of the cross-compile repo.
Note that this is a temporary location for the repo ! We want to move this under ros2/cross-compile.

The following PR add the documentation and the repo to ros2.repos:

1 Like

@Silvia.

In that case, NuttX build system is a set of plain makefiles.
We have a makefile calling colcon with a cross-compilation toolchain.
In this link:
https://github.com/microROS/apps/tree/feature/microROS_stm32-e407/uros

You can find the makefile and the related toolchain file.
I think those are the files you may be interested.

Hi @lmayencourt, I finally had time to look at the repository and the instructions. They look great!

However I noticed that you are still targeting Bouncy repositories.

Have you tried cross-compiling Crystal repositories using that same instructions?

I’m asking because I have created a similar framework, which should allow me to cross-compile for Bouncy as well as for Crystal.
However, even if the build phase goes fine in both cases, I get a Bus error when running any of the Crystal example executables.

If your target is a armv7l (i.e. 32-bit Raspberry Pi or similar), then Ensure that context instance id storage is aligned correctly by sgvandijk · Pull Request #365 · ros2/rcl · GitHub should fix the bus error in Crystal.

1 Like

Hi @alsora,
Thanks for taking the times to look at the repo+instructions !

I’m facing some issues when cross-compiling Crystal and I would be interested to see the differences you have in your setup that allows you to pass the build.

On my last try, qt_gui_cpp was failing and after that rosidl_python…

If your target is a armv7l (i.e. 32-bit Raspberry Pi or similar), then Ensure that context instance id storage is aligned correctly by sgvandijk · Pull Request #365 · ros2/rcl · GitHub should fix the bus error in Crystal.

@clalancette Thank you, that fixed the error perfectly.

@lmayencourt I’m currently ignoring all the visualization packages.
After Christmas I will try to cross-compile also these packages for RaspberryPi and I will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m now able to cross-compile the full Crystal release apart of ros-visualization and rviz packages !
I’m trying to find the issue with rviz and I will try the same with ros-visualization if I have the time.

1 Like

I have done a few updates on the cross-compilation assets:

• rviz (master) can now be cross-compiled
  • a generic dockerfile is used to generate an aarch64 or armhf file-system. A build argument can be specified to docker:
    - armhf: docker build --build-arg ARM_ARCH=arm32v7 …
    - aarch64: docker build --build-arg ARM_ARCH=arm64v8 …
  • the target docker container is cleaned after been extracted
1 Like