ROS2 on microcontrollers with RIOT

Hello !

I haven’t posted news from the project for a long time now, but here is the summary of my last developments :

• I have updated the ros2 packages I use from beta2 to arment !
  • I have improved the build system integration between Ament and RIOT, now the build process looks much more like the official crosscompilation for arm.
  • I don’t need to modify the official packages’ CMakeLists.txt anymore, so that future update will be easier.

In the other hand, I also removed some features that I have no time to maintain anymore (be understanding, I’m working alone on this project :sweat:) :

• removed rmw_mqtt implementation
  • removed some examples

Also, my implementation of rclc (ROS Client Library for C) has recently been merged with the official rclc repository (many thanks to the reviewers). I could not reach the point where it would be included in the official ROS2 stack, but at least it is usable with the normal ROS2 stack and the RIOT-ROS2 stack ! You can check these examples for trying with the normal stack.

My roadmap for this year is :

• to complete rclc so that it may be included in a future ROS2 version
  • to have a full implementation of topics, services and discovery with rmw_ndn.
  • to update to newer versions of RIOT
  • to write some example tutorials for using on a microcontroller (the main benefit of my project :smile:)
  • to build a complete autonomous robot with this project (and take part to the Eurobot competition)

Of course any contribution is welcome, even just saying that it does not work on your computer !

Cheers !

3 Likes