ROSCon 2018: Call for Proposals

We’re excited to announce that we are now accepting presentation proposals for ROSCon 2018!

ROSConMadrid

Presentations on all topics related to ROS are invited. Examples include: introducing attendees to a ROS package or library, exploring how to use tools, manipulating sensor data, and applications for robots.

Women, members of minority groups, and members of other under-represented groups are encouraged to submit presentation proposals to ROSCon.

Proposals will be reviewed by a program committee that will evaluate fit, impact, and balance.

We cannot offer presentations that are not proposed! If there is a topic on which you would like to present, please propose it. If you have an idea for an important topic that you do not want to present yourself, please post it for discussion at ROS Discourse.

Topic areas

All ROS-related work is invited. Topics of interest include:

• Best practices
  • New packages
  • Robot-specific development
  • Robot simulation
  • Safety and security
  • Embedded systems
  • Product development & commercialization
  • Research and education
  • Enterprise deployment
  • Community organization and direction
  • Testing, quality, and documentation
  • Robotics competitions and collaborations
  • Related open source projects

To get an idea of the content and tone of ROSCon, check out the slides and videos from previous years.

Proposal format

A session proposal must include:

• Title
  • Presenter (name and affiliation)
  • Recommended duration: Short (~10 minutes), Medium (~20 minutes) or Long (~30 minutes)
  • Summary [maximum 100 words]: to be used in advertising the presentation
  • Description [maximum 1000 words]: outline, goals (what will the audience learn?), pointers to packages to be discussed

Please be sure to include in your proposal enough information for the program committee to evaluate the importance and impact of your presentation. We strongly encourage you to provide links to publicly available resources, including code repositories and demonstration videos. Demonstrated community interest is helpful in evaluating proposals. A proposal that promises to make an open source release in the future is difficult for the program committee to evaluate and less likely to be accepted.

Submit your proposal at the submissions site by July 2nd, 2018.

1 Like

I visited the CFP submission page and received the following error: “The site is not open for submissions at the moment.”

52%20PM

Sorry @breandan Please try again now.

Seems to be fixed now. Thanks!

1 Like

@tfoote, I’m looking at the submission page and I don’t see the Summary and Description fields you mention above. The screen is for submitting papers, which seems to imply you want the entire paper written and uploaded, not a proposal for a presentation. I want to do a presentation, do I have to write a paper before I can submit the proposal? Please clarify.

@mkhansen ROSCon does not require (or accept) traditional papers. The use of the term “paper” in the submission system is an artifact from our (mis-)use of conference management software that’s designed to handle papers. Just mentally replace “paper” with “proposal”.

@gerkey, great, that’s what I was hoping. So I assume then that I just need to write the <100 word description and Summary sections in a file and upload the file, correct?

Exactly. Just create a PDF containing the proposal and upload it.

As a quick reminder proposals are due in 2 weeks!

If you’d like some inspiration we’re featuring ROSCon talks on the ROS blog. If there’s a talk you’d like to see or you’re looking for an idea please join this thread: ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

And of course we have archives for all the talks linked from the programs at https://roscon.ros.org