With the ROS 2 Crystal release getting closer and the number of contributors increasing we want to provide a more concrete timeline to give everyone a heads up to update / release packages. All of the following dates are our best estimates when things will happen:
Milestone 1, week Nov 5th - 9th, first round of
- Alpha status.
- Allows maintainers to register their repositories for release / CI / PR testing.
- At that point we don’t guarantee that the API is 100% final yet (see next milestone).
Milestone 2, Wed Nov 21st, API freeze for core packages - avoid breaking API changes after this:
- Beta status.
- Until that date work is ongoing on the
rcl*as well as
rosidl*which is expected to break some API used by downstream packages, we will update the documentation on the (to be generated) Crystal release page as we go.
- Afterwards external contributors have enough time to update rmw implementations and message generators to match changed API and get them released before the Crystal release date.
Milestone 3, Tue Dec 4th, feature freeze packages for roughly everything in the
- RC status.
- Cut-off for
bloomreleases introducing features (bug fixes during the testing phase will still be accepted).
- Other packages / repositories can of course be released any time - even after the release announcement (same as for existing ROS distros).
Release announcement on Fri Dec 14th
Post-release, on demand:
- Make patch releases where necessary.
- Sync on demand (same as of existing ROS distros).
Your friendly ROS team