Using the Motoman SDA20D Dual-arms DX100 ROS Interface(Indigo)

We are absolutely interested in collaborating regarding the Motoman ROS driver. Due to the natural situation that most ros-industrial developers only get in touch with a very limited number of systems we see this as crucial.

Sure, we have sent the files. btw I have pasted the start-up output of the MotoROS driver on our system in a comment to the MotoROS v.1.8.0 PR.

The PR for v1.8.0 now contains code that should be close to what you are doing with the two/three motion groups @andreaskoepf.

Hi, I load motoros 1.8v of @ted-miller, I have executed roslaunch successfully. But now have other problem when launch demo (without joint state publisher) with the arm left, already that the joints is missing.

[ERROR] [1527541542.427483218]: State monitor received invalid joint state (number of joint names does not match number of positions)
[ERROR] [1527541542.559572523]: Robot state publisher received an invalid joint state vector
[ERROR] [1527541542.652458005]: Robot state publisher received an invalid joint state vector
[ WARN] [1527541542.682741048]: The complete state of the robot is not yet known.  Missing arm_left_joint_1_s, arm_left_joint_2_l, arm_left_joint_3_e, arm_left_joint_4_u, arm_left_joint_5_r, arm_left_joint_6_b, arm_left_joint_7_t

On rostopic echo /sda20d/sda20d_r1_controller/joint_states yes they are:

header: 
  seq: 54746
  stamp: 
    secs: 1527541767
    nsecs: 419976021
  frame_id: ''
name: ['arm_left_joint_1_s', 'arm_left_joint_2_l', 'arm_left_joint_3_e', 'arm_left_joint_4_u', 'arm_left_joint_5_r', 'arm_left_joint_6_b', 'arm_left_joint_7_t']
position: [-0.24274393916130066, 0.8650458455085754, 0.09747595340013504, -0.3556790053844452, -0.25175508856773376, -0.11210209876298904, -0.2976524233818054]
velocity: [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0]
effort: []

But difference on rostopic echo /joint_states the position is empty:

header: 
  seq: 178122
  stamp: 
    secs: 1527541902
    nsecs: 769456976
  frame_id: ''
name: ['arm_left_joint_1_s', 'arm_left_joint_2_l', 'arm_left_joint_3_e', 'arm_left_joint_4_u', 'arm_left_joint_5_r', 'arm_left_joint_6_b', 'arm_left_joint_7_t']
position: []
velocity: []
effort: []

Hello Sinai,
Can you please try three things:

1. Make sure there is only one instance of MotoROS installed on your controller. Boot into Maintenance mode. Touch [MotoPlus Apl] > [File List]. Make sure there is only one .out file loaded.

2. Please take a picture of the VGA monitor connected to the robot. I would like to see the startup initialization messages.

3. Please run a wireshark capture on the ROS PC. This will record the network communication between the robot and PC. https://jlospinoso.github.io/software/wireshark/networks/ubuntu/2015/02/11/configuring-wireshark-on-ubuntu-14.html

1 Like

Hi @ted-miller, I changed the init_ros job:

/JOB
//NAME INIT_ROS
//POS
///NPOS 0,0,0,0,0,0
//INST
///DATE 2018/05/30 10:54
///ATTR SC,RW
NOP
PSTART JOB:ROS_R1 SUB1
PSTART JOB:ROS_R2 SUB2
PSTART JOB:ROS_S1 SUB3
PWAIT SUB1
END

This is the wireshark print.

The monitor output looks good.

For the wireshark capture, can you please zip the pcapng file and attach it? I am unable to filter and read the raw printed data.

For the INIT_ROS job, I added special jobs for DX100 SDA in my latest commit. https://github.com/ros-industrial/motoman/pull/213/commits/df1256dc6dfd17e518f396cc7aba0517c44c8a62 Please use the jobs in the folder “two_arms_with_base”.

Based on your post, I am assuming that your waist axis is configured as a “station” instead of a “base”. I don’t know if this will work or not. My testing was done using a base-axis. You may need to reconfigure that axis. If you need help with that, please contact Yaskawa Motoman Tech Support and they can provide detailed instructions for your robot.

@gavanderhoorn, do you have any advice about the latest error? Assuming that the robot is indeed reporting the joint states, then I’m not sure what the ROS error messages mean.

I first want to see the wireshark capture before looking into this more.

Hi, I configured the waist axis to “base” and I loaded the jobs to robot. The problem persists, this is the wireshark file. Also, I try to monitoring the joint states of real robot in rviz (demo.launch) but now just R2 is correct.

[ INFO] [1528141714.315548270]: all_joint_state.positions: 0 == all_joint_names: 7
 [ INFO] [1528141714.315751159]: all_joint_state.positions: 1 == all_joint_names: 1
 [ INFO] [1528141714.315910410]: all_joint_state.positions: 7 == all_joint_names: 7

[ERROR] [1528141487.782130639]: State monitor received invalid joint state (number of joint names does not match number of positions)
[ERROR] [1528141487.813911850]: Robot state publisher received an invalid joint state vector

@ted-miller @gavanderhoorn You could connect to my PC trough of teamviewer with the robot on net, to see the problem.

I’m currently abroad on travels and cannot assist you directly. I’ll take a look as soon as I can, which may be this weekend or next week.

To me it’s unclear at the moment whether this is a configuration issue on the controller’s side, or whether the ROS side is faulting.

What you could try for now is see whether this pr improves things. If it does, I’ll have a better idea of what is going on exactly. Note that the PR is slightly behind the state of kinetic-devel, but that shouldn’t matter for what you’ll be testing iirc.

@ted-miller: just looked at the wireshark capture provided by @Sinai_Aranda. Can you comment on the (unexpectedly) large joint velocities reported for axes J4 to J7 for the third group? Those make little sense to me.

They’re in the third SIMPLEMESSAGE packet of the capture.

Based on the wireshark capture, it appears that the robot side is configured correctly. There are three groups and the state appears to be reported correctly (ignoring the velocity data). I do see that [motion_ready] is false… but I assume that’s just because the INIT_ROS job hasn’t been started.

Based on the console output above (all_joint_state.positions: 0 == all_joint_names: 7), I’m speculating one of two things. (But, I fully admit that I don’t know enough about these two things to speak competently; so this is pure speculation.)

1. Configuration issue with the robot definition.
  2. For multi-group systems, I send out a Joint Feedback message for each group individually. Additionally, I send out a Multi-group Joint Feedback that contains all groups in one message. Perhaps this version of the ROS-I doesn’t have support for the multi-group message? Maybe it’s incorrectly reading the single-group feedback messages?

In regard to the odd velocity output, I’m not sure. The garbage data only appears on the axes which aren’t used (group 3 is only a single axis). So, I think the problem is that I’m not zero-ing the velocity data prior to calling the mpSvsGetVelTrqFb API. It’s possible that the API is only filling in the first value for the single axis and then ignoring the rest of the values, which is uninitialized data.

In regard to the garbage joint velocities, I found this in the reference manual:
“Since the area specified by the parameter is not initialized (0 clear) by this API, initialize the area by the application as necessary.”

So, I just need to clear the data before calling the API. I will fix this in the next commit.

@ted-miller How say PR of @gavanderhoorn:

• If you have a DX100 and a rail, it CANNOT be configured as a base axis if you want to control it with ROS. Instead, you must configure the rail as an external axis.

So, the robot must be configure to station? this way I moved the real robot and rviz same before.

If you have a DX100 and a rail, it CANNOT be configured as a base axis if you want to control it with ROS. Instead, you must configure the rail as an external axis

This is apparently not true. andreaskoepf said above that the the SDA should be configured as R1+R2+B1. I have also tested and confirmed that the waist axis should be configured as a base axis.

That comment by Jonathan was made before the updates in 1.8.0 were added and are also describing a DX100 with a robot on a linear track (not an SDA setup). Not sure how relevant (ie: different) that is/would be, but thought I’d mention it.

And @Sinai_Aranda: you don’t need to use everything from the PR I linked to, just the ROS side of things. Not MotoROS nor the INFORM jobs.

Ok, I changed to base and I used motoman_driver package of kinetic-devel, the error is the same (all_joint_state.positions: 0 == all_joint_names: 7).

@ted-miller these are the system files of the robot. I did not have support for the configuration to ‘base’ through of Yaskawa Mexico, but yes they help me with alarms that the robot showed. I dont’ have the correct values, for this reason the system can have limits in the joint base. From teach pendant, I can move the base, but in the /joint states just in -3.018 to 3.018 although this completely tour.

hallo,now I use the motoman_drive to conturl the motoman_mh5f ,but i can’t make the robot move.
because I’m the first time now.so can you tell me the work process?

You can use this tutorials :+1:

1 Like

Please do not hijack this thread. The MH5 is a single group robot, not a dual-arm setup like the SDA20 is discussed here.

If you feel something is wrong with the driver, please post to motoman/issues. If you’re having trouble setting things up, please ask for assistance on ROS Answers. Be sure to use appropriate tags in that case (fi: motoman and ros-industrial).

2 Likes