Georeferencing PointCloud Map

I was more concerned with synchronizing the change between the two map provider nodes.

I see. I think matter of synchronization is not closed within map providers, but all nodes that subscribe the updated map must be synchronized in that case. I cannot think of a good strategy immediately.

Joshua Whitely has proposed a TF tree for Autoware.Auto.
In it he defines a frame from semantic map to localisation map (SM->LM) published initially by a static transform publisher. How does this influence the georeferencing issue. I assume point cloud maps could still be georeferenced in the way described above (yaml file).

If you have any thoughts, please comment in the linked thread, as the TF tree is being decided (initially for AVP project at least) by the end of the week.

1 Like

If using PCL, we can use the “VIEWPOINT” field in PCL pointcloud file format for storing the sensor origin and orientation. This can further be used for transforming the pointcloud data while loading it.
I haven’t tried this but I faced point precision loss while georeferencing the pointcloud, since PCL uses FLOAT32 datatype and georeference data was quite large. Distortions in georeferenced pointcloud were visible.