Call for interest: RobotWebTools working group?

@emersonknapp interesting proposal!

I think it would be good to align the “web robotics” tools and a working group sounds like a good way to do this.

count me in for future discussions!

1 Like

Great idea. I tested out the ROS/web integration by making ros-web-gamepad and in ~150 lines of JavaScript I had a joystick attached to my browser driving a ROS-based robot over rosbridge. I also experimented with decoding Theora frames from a rosbag in-browser. It seems like a promising area to continue exploring.

2 Likes

Hi @emersonknapp, thanks for the initiative! It’s a great idea. I haven’t been involved in rwt (or ROS to be honest) for about a year or two now. But I’m currently making my way back to ROS. I will try to be as active as I can, but as Jihoon mentioned in the PR comment, we all moved to different places/positions and we don’t have as much resources as we once did.
That being said, I don’t expect to be 100% active on rwt (or ros2) right away because I’m still in the process of switching back to ROS work.
Cheers!

1 Like

@emersonknapp The Robot Web Tools project is very important in my humble opinion! Great initiative :-)!

1 Like

I would like to participate/be involved in this working group.
I am a noob in robotics, a hobbyist, but have decent experience in web development.

1 Like

I would be interested as well. I am a web developer and have been using ROS and roslibjs these past months.

1 Like

Thank you for the initiation @emersonknapp. I do believe there should be interests as I have seen continuous incoming issues and PRs, although I couldn’t have handled them due to the lack of resources.

I hope the active working group gets formed again to revitalize(or upgrade for ros2) the library. I will do all my best to support to form the working group.

2 Likes

Thanks for your great proposal @emersonknapp, I’ve seen strong web-related requirements from the feedback of the developers and I believe an active working group can make these projects prosperous and offers a better web solution for ROS/ROS2.

1 Like

Initiative is valuable, I would like to participate.

1 Like

Definitely a valuable tool to keep fresh. I’d be happy to participate

1 Like

This will be interesting for sure.
I would be happy to be a part of it

1 Like

I would be happy to participate in the working group, too. I’ve been contributing to rosnodejs for many years, which isn’t part of the same github org, but of course logically belongs to ros web tools just the same way rclnodejs does.

1 Like

@emersonknapp It appears that we have critical mass for this effort. I have a guide for starting new working groups. I’ll shoot you an e-mail and we can set everything up.

4 Likes

I agree!

I’ll put together some of the assets we need to get started - but I also want to ask for interested people here to volunteer to co-own this WG - I’m definitely not trying to swoop in and take over the project single-handedly. I volunteer to run the first meeting and help get things situated, but will be asking for others to take on these duties as well.

Lastly - I’d like to get a sense for when we should have a first meeting. I’ve opened this poll for the days next week, but depending on how many responses it gets, we could use those same day/time preferences for a different upcoming week (June 1-4 or 7-11)

2 Likes

I am a web developer too, and I have built a web interface for my rover integrating ROS2 topic publisher , Flask web server, Bootstrap responsive design, Font Awesome icons, and have added a click grid onto my FPV view. I have a couple of thread issues to work out, but have a working proof of concept. FPV latency is not much of a problem on a LAN for 4 frames per second, but frames per second may be a problem on open internet. There may be Socket IO solutions for frame rate, but I am pretty busy now working on “click there” in FPV view, and rover to drive to selected point. JPG individual frames are available for AI recognition / processing currently.

4 Likes

Count me in. I’ve been working with @minggangw on rclnodejs and rclnodejs-cli.

2 Likes

I will close the Doodle at 2021-05-26T22:00:00Z - then use the results to schedule the first meeting within 2 weeks after that - please put your vote in!

If we don’t get the meeting time perfect, that’s OK, we can iterate from there - maybe we will need to alternate times since I think we have interest in US, Europe, and Asia - which is difficult to mutually schedule :dizzy_face:

The meeting will be recorded and posted to YouTube, and the notes will be publicly available.

1 Like

I’m convinced that there is a place for these web tools and definitely need some of them.
I won’t join the working group but I can help with testing and do occasional PRs (I’m not a web developer but it’s a good opportunity to learn).

I’m particularly interested in the ROS2 side.

It’s good initiative :slight_smile:

I am robotic student and I finish to study this year.
On side project, I am a team leader of a Robocup SSL team.

I work since few years on web, so I have a decent experience in web development.
I am interesting to join the working group and participate in the community !

Hi, I am recent undergraduate of cse. I have experience of web development at class project level. I really intend to contribute to ROS and it’s awesome opportunity. I am have been learning ROS from last Eight months. Can I will become part of RobotWeb Tools working group?