The Computer Science Group at the GSSI (top ranked computer science department in Italy in 2022 and national department of excellence) has 11 postdoc positions in computer science, 3 of them in robotic software engineering:
- AGRIBIO-SERVICE, 1 position with profile: The research activities will focus on software engineering for robotics. We will focus on service robots, especially in the agriculture domain, considering also the collaboration and cooperation with humans
- HALO, 1 position with profile: The research activities will focus on ethical-aware and human-centric autonomous systems (ASs). The ambition of the project is to design adjustable ASs that provide user-centric customization of their autonomy, hence guaranteeing moral values such as privacy, fairness, and human dignity. We plan to experiment in the robotic domain
- ROBO-CHOR, 1 position with profile: The research activities will focus on software engineering for robotics. We will focus on multiple distributed and heterogeneous service robots (Multi-Robot Systems - MRSs) that collaborate with each other and with humans in a shared space to accomplish a common (globally specified) mission, while guaranteeing the preservation of ethical constraints of both the mission and the involved humans
Competitive salary, EU level. Yearly gross salary: € 45.000,00 (gross amount before taxes, including taxes owed by the Institution. Postdocs in Italy have reduced taxation). The duration of the appointment is 24 months.
The applications must be sent to GSSI only by filling in the online application form at the following link: Applications Post Doc and attach all the required documents:
- a curriculum vitae, including the complete list of publications;
- a research statement (not required for the Mathematics Area);
- up to three selected publications which will be evaluated individually. The PhD thesis can be included, since it is considered as a publication ;
- a valid ID document.
Deadline: December 14, 2023 - 3 p.m. (Italian time zone).
Gran Sasso Science Institute (GSSI - http://www.gssi.it) is an International centre of excellence for advanced studies and PhD school established in L’Aquila (Italy).
Despite being founded only in 2012 and stabilized in 2016, after a three-year successful experimental period, the institute has already obtained wide recognition at both national and international levels.
The PhD program at GSSI is organized in the scientific areas ofAstroparticle Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Regional Sciences and Economic Geography. Every year, the institute offers PhD scholarships and postdoctoral grants as well as research internship opportunities, thus facilitating the attraction of prestigious scientists in the field of Computer Science.
In 2022, GSSI participated for the first time in the Ministry ofUniversity and Research call of ANVUR (Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes - Mission – ANVUR – Agenzia Nazionale di Valutazione del Sistema Universitario e della Ricerca) to evaluate universities in Italy.
In this first participation, the computer science area has been evaluated as the first computer science department in Italy. This recognition gave the computer science area the opportunity to participate in a further call for funding, and together with the mathematics area, was recognized as one ofthe “Departments of Excellence”, obtaining more than 7 million Euros in additional funding. Besides its prestige, this recognition will bring additional permanent positions and significant funds (over one million Euros) for building autonomous systems, IoT, and algorithm-engineering laboratories.
Moreover, the GSSI project was ranked first in the specific disciplinary sector (https://www.anvur.it/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/ALLEGATO-NOTA-ANVUR_esito-180.pdf) among the 11 departments of excellence in computer science and mathematics, with only three of them (including GSSI) concerning Computer Science. The first place is shared with the Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa and the University of Pisa, two other prestigious Italian institutions.