Experiences with radar

Hi aaron_Fulton
I have quite some experience working with Radar+ROS. Typically radar does not provide a point cloud and afaik ROS does not have standard message for radar readings. There was a good one from Automotive Stuff though I could not find it any more. As @gbiggs said it provides a number of points (usually up to 64 points per frame depending on radar model). It’s often the case that 1 big object (like car) might have 2-6 points assigned to it. Smaller and non-metal objects might have 1 point. So it’s engineer job to define if points belong to same object or not. Certain point clustering algorithms can be used for that. Usually radar provides object velocity and it’s considered to be the main strength of radar but it’s not always the case. And I have experience that some sneaky manufacturers claim that radar has velocity detection but in practice it’s not. So be careful about it. Good radars also provide tracking, so you can tell that certain point in 2 different frames belong to the same object. That is valuable too. Continental and Bosh are top players when it comes to automotive radars. One downside is that they are not going to talk to you unless you are willing to buy 100+ items. Fell free to ask if you have more questions.