A three-year pre-doctoral position (doctoral student position) is available at the Control of Networked Systems Group at the University of Klagenfurt (https://sst.aau.at/cns, https://uav.aau.at). The position is part of a research project in robotics that aims to achieve truly autonomous and safe handling of different electronic products with a robotic arm in a collaborative manufacturing environment through AI-based, zero-shot 6D pose estimation and grasping point prediction. The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the tasks and milestones of the project through independent research and to present the results in journals and at conferences. The position is aimed at the scientific training of graduates of a diploma or master program with the goal of obtaining a PhD degree in engineering.
In the Control of Networked Systems group, we seek to push the current limits in AI supported state estimation, cooperative visual perception, and multi-modal sensor fusion for autonomous and mobile networked systems. The group publishes in international top journals and conference proceedings. Successful applicants will be encouraged and supported to publish their work in such journals and proceedings, and will have the opportunity to cooperate with our world renowned international partners from science and industry. We currently cooperate with partners in the USA, Australia, Asia, and in Europe. We specifically encourage and support close and open collaboration with our peers both internationally and at the University. Our young research group provides a highly dynamic, familiar, and friendly attitude and thus a collaborative and inspiring work environment with highly modern infrastructure (including state of the art computing hardware and one of the largest indoor drone halls in Europe). Our university is located next to a large lake in a beautiful area of Europe with easy access to the Alps, the Adriatic Sea, Italy, Croatia, and Slovenia offering plenty of outdoor and cultural activities nearby year-round.
Description of the Position:
- Start date: February 1st, 2024
- Full-time, three years
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Independent research with the aim to submit a dissertation and acquire a PhD degree.
- Presentation of scientific results in journals and at conferences.
- Contributing to the tasks and milestones of the current projects in the research group.
- Student mentoring and teamwork.
- A university degree (Master or Diplom-Ingenieur) in electrical engineering and information and communication engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, statistics or related field, graded with excellent academic success.
- Proven knowledge and extensive experience in at least one of the following areas: Machine learning for robotics, probabilistic state estimation, AI-based image analysis and tracking.
- Proven programming skills in the languages Python, Matlab, C / C++, ROS.
- Fluent in English both spoken and written.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcripts and certifications earliest possible to the departmental secretary, Ms. Melissa Aichholzer: firstname.lastname@example.org . Selected candidates will be invited to an interview until the position is filled. If you have questions about the position, please contact Jan Steinbrener, email@example.com or Stephan Weiss, firstname.lastname@example.org.