A two-year post-doctoral position is available at Universität Klagenfurt in the Institute for Smart Systems Technologies, Control of Networked Systems Group (sst.aau.at/cns, uav.aau.at). The position is part of an exciting research project funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) that seeks to push the boundaries of AI-based control algorithms trained and executed directly on the drone. The successful applicant is expected to be highly motivated to contribute to the project goals and to present the results in top international journals and at conferences.
In the Control of Networked Systems group, we aim to extend the current limits in AI supported state estimation and control, cooperative visual perception, and multi-modal sensor fusion for autonomous and mobile networked systems. The group publishes in international top journals and conference proceedings. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to cooperate with our world renowned international partners from science and industry. We currently cooperate with partners in the USA, Australia, Asia, and in Europe. We specifically encourage and support close and open collaboration with our peers both internationally and at the University. Our young research group provides a highly dynamic, familiar, and friendly attitude and thus a collaborative and inspiring work environment with highly modern infrastructure (including state of the art computing hardware and one of the largest indoor drone halls in Europe). Our University is located next to a large lake in a beautiful area of Europe with easy access to the Alps, the Adriatic Sea, Italy, Croatia, and Slovenia offering plenty of outdoor and cultural activities nearby year-round.
Additional Information about the Research Group and Drone Research at Universität Klagenfurt
Description of the Position:
- Preferred start date: December 1st, 2020
- Duration: Full-time, two years
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Independent research in the area of AI-based control algorithms for UAVs
- Presentation of scientific results in journals and at conferences
- Contributing to the tasks and milestones of the current projects in the research group
- Conceptualization of new research ideas in line with the research focus of the group is highly encouraged
- Student mentoring and team work
- A doctoral degree in electrical engineering, information and communication engineering, computer science, statistics or related field, graded with excellent academic success.
- Proven knowledge (i.e. publications) and extensive experience in at least one of the following areas: control of autonomous systems, probabilistic machine learning methods, embedded machine learning, or continual machine learning.
- Proven programming skills in the languages Python, C / C++, ROS.
- Fluent in English both spoken and written.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae incl. publication list, transcripts and certifications to the departmental secretary, Ms. Melissa Aichholzer (Melissa.Aichholzer@aau.at) by Oct 18 th , 2020 . If you have questions about the position, please contact Jan Steinbrener, Jan.Steinbrener@aau.at. Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview.