Hardware Interfaces Working Group Meeting #9 Today!

Today (HW) Interfaces Working Group Meeting #9

Here I would like to gather feedback on topic areas, such as the TF topic before, interfaces with PLC type hardware, and other topics to date, and gather any additional sub-topics of interest.

As always notes here: HW Interface Working Group Minutes-initiated 031822 - Google Docs

Meeting info here:

Topic: Hardware Interfaces Working Group Meeting
Time: Jul 7, 2022 10:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Every 2 weeks on Thu, until Sep 1, 2022, 5 occurrence(s)
Jul 7, 2022 10:00 AM
Jul 21, 2022 10:00 AM
Aug 4, 2022 10:00 AM
Aug 18, 2022 10:00 AM
Sep 1, 2022 10:00 AM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/tZ0vdu-rqDgpHNxlod-5NthZPCD4TmH6-202/ics?icsToken=98tyKuGhrDosGdKWsx-PRpx5AIj4M-nwpnZego1FkBDhTnV9dgvMBsFmZoZyOI6d

Join Zoom Meeting

Zoom Video

Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting

Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference…

Meeting ID: 892 1636 3368
Passcode: HWwgMTG
One tap mobile
+13462487799,89216363368#,*5585911# US (Houston)
+12532158782,89216363368#,*5585911# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 444 9171 US
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 646 931 3860 US
Meeting ID: 892 1636 3368
Passcode: 5585911
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

2 Likes

Have the minutes updated, you can check the link above.

We identified focus sub topics within the (HW)I WG and are open to more. Obviously the key is to have a champion for each sub-topic.

We also discussed some opportunities for guest speakers and synergies with other WGs. Looking forward to comments and/or participation as we get together in 2 weeks.

MR

Hi Matt and thanks for organizing the WG.
regarding to the following sub topic I have some thoughts that want to share here:

• PLC and PLC type devices - Doug shared info on this topic
    * Scope? - servos and drives? - gets into CAN Open then the PLC is simply a bridge.

There are great efforts already done in community to interfacing PLC devices but some how all of them are not maintained any more.

I’m using PROFINET for a while and already developed Ros control like HW interfaces for IO and PROFIDRIVE communication over Profinet to use a ROS based system instead of a PLC in industrial cells. This gives realtime control capabilities when it comes to Movement Synchronizations between robots and external tool axes.
On the other side of the spectrum , I’m using OPCUA for HMI integration in ROS based systems. I have extended the ideas and works above for some type adaptation between ROS and Siemens HMI specially in supporting arrays.

Now the point is does it worth making this libraries more general and more robust to be used as a plug and play module (with some configs for sure) inside the community like the other good developed modules like ros_control, nav and …
On the other hand there is also some new opportunities in the filed like PROFINET robot interface as is started to be adapted by robot manufacturers. I was thinking maybe we can also implement this Siemens Robot Library as a general interface between ROS and Siemens and any ROS Based Industrial robot be ready to use in Siemens & Co environments.

1 Like

I would be happy to have you present this idea at one of the upcoming (HW) Interface Working Group meetings. I will be sending info about the upcoming WG meeting. We may shift out a week to line up with the existing ROS events invite, so stay tuned. Relative to OPCUA, I think there is a lot of interest in leveraging for interfaces. We have not had a lot of pull for profinet, but a supported profinet based interface would be interesting for those using other Siemens ecosystem solutions. Let me know if you would be willing to attend and offer up an approach.

1 Like

It would me my pleasure to discuss it more in one of the upcoming (HW) Interface Working Group. Maybe we can start with OPC-UA for a while and later approaching PROFINET as OPC-UA is a hotter topic.

I have also discussed a little last week with @destogl about his ros_opcua_communication package and the potential he sees in GitHub - Mariunil/ros2-opcua: Communication between ROS 2 ecosystem and open source OPC UA PubSub implementation open62541.

I will prepare something to discuss more in the meeting!

1 Like

Great. There is a meeting today, but I realize that is short notice. Let’s target the September 1 HWIWG meeting. I can send you a reminder/post up that you will share some of the concepts for that particular meeting. Thanks!

Matt

1 Like

1st September is OK :+1: I will share some notes earlier.

Behnood

Will the meeting start as planned in 40 min?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.