Is there somewhere a answers.ros.org dump?

Hi,
I sometimes work in offline setup and sometimes wish I had access to answers.ros.org. At worst, making a backup of the website myself (scraping) is illegal in many places of the world and at best, it would consume a lot of bandwith, which I believe, everyone would like to avoid.

To avoid this, some websites like stackoverflow dump their data.

I looked a bit but could not find one for answers.ros.org. Is there one somewhere or would you consider doing it?

3 Likes

I’ve used the askbot api to scrape a bunch of the info for https://github.com/DLu/ros_metrics but that dump isn’t downloadable anywhere… yet.

I wonder if we can achieve something like the Kiwix zim files? Kiwix (app) uses indexed webpage files (zim). Their website has lots of zim files from StackExchange, Wikipedia etc. I am not sure of their method to create the zim files but the pattern must be well established.

I never used Kiwix and Zim, but stackexchanges export in their format. Some RST in the documentation mention export and import, but I am not sure they still work and if it’s a similar format…
Someone in charge could probably tell more about it

answers.ros.org is an instance of askbot I don’t know if it has this capability. I would recommend working with the askbot team to add functionality for exporting. If this capability is added upstream we can then look at enabling it on our instance.

Thanks. I just created an issue on their github and will come back if there is any update

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.