Jazzy Jalisco Testing & Tutorial Kickoff Party / Instructions

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned previously, we’re conducting a testing and tutorial party for the next ROS release, Jazzy Jalisco. If you happened to miss the kickoff of the Jazzy Jalisco Testing and Tutorial party (video) this morning I have put together some written instructions that should let everyone, no matter their time zone, participate.

TL;DR

We need your help to test the next ROS Distro before its release on 5/23/2024. We’re asking the community to pick a particular system setup, that is to say a combination of host operating system, CPU architecture, RMW vendor, and build type (source, debian, binary), and run through a set of ROS tutorials to make sure everything is working smoothly. Depending on the outcome of your tutorials you can either close the ticket or report the errors you found. If you can’t assign the ticket to yourself leave a comment and an admin will take care of it for you. Please do not sign up for more than one ticket at any given time. Everything you need to know about this process to know can be found in this Github repository.

As a thank you for your help we’re planning to provide the top twenty people who contribute to the testing repository with ROS Jazzy swag (the Jazzy swag sale should go live tomorrow, May 2nd). To be eligible to receive swag you must register using this short Google Form so we can match e-mail addresses to Github user names and count the total tickets closed.

On top of that, this year we’re also offering a free Sponsoring Individual membership in the OSRA to the top three people who contribute as part of this event. The membership will last until the end of 2024 and will provide all the benefits received by the paying Sponsoring Individual members. This is a great way to start getting involved in the OSRA and in the governance of the OSRF’s projects.

The testing and tutorial party will close on May 15, 2024 , but we’re asking everyone to get started right away!

Full Instructions

We’re planning to release ROS 2 Jazzy Jalisco on May 23, 2024 and we need the community’s help to make sure that we’ve thoroughly tested the distro on a variety of platforms before we make the final release. What do we mean by testing? Well, lots of things, but in the context of the testing and tutorial party we are talking about the package-level ROS unit tests and anything else you want to test. What do we mean by tutorials? We also want to make sure all our ROS tutorials are in working order before the release.

The difficulty in testing a ROS release is that people have lots of different ways they use ROS, and we can’t possibly test all of those combinations. For the testing and tutorial party we have created what we call, “a setup.” A setup is a combination of:

• DDS vendor: FASTDDS, CYCLONEDDS or CONNEXTDDS
  • BuildType: binary, debian or source
  • Chipset: Amd64 or Arm64

If you already have a particular system setup that you work with, we suggest that you roll with that, otherwise feel free to create a new system setup just for testing purposes. If you normally use Windows or RHEL (or binary compatible distributions to RHEL like Rocky Linux / Alma Linux) we would really appreciate your help as we don’t have a ton of internal resources to test these distributions.

Here are the steps for participating in the testing and tutorial party:

1. First go to the Tutorial Party Github repo and read the README.md.

2. Figure out your setup!

3. Note your computer’s host operating system (either Ubuntu Nobel, Windows, or RHEL-9)

4. Note your chipset, either AMD64 or ARM64, if you don’t know it is probably AMD64.

5. Note your installed DDS Vendor (this varies by host OS).

6. Figure out how you want to install the ROS Jazzy Jalisco Beta, your options are:

1. [Binaries](https://docs.ros.org/en/jazzy/Installation.html)
2. Debian installation
3. [Source installation](https://docs.ros.org/en/jazzy/Installation/Alternatives/Ubuntu-Development-Setup.html)
  1. Once you’ve got your “setup” all figured out take a look at the open tickets in the tutorial repo (at the bottom of the page). There should be a set of tickets for your “setup”. Click on the links and review the available tickets. If you want to test something other than the available tickets, feel free to open a new ticket and describe exactly what you are testing.
  2. Pick a single ticket for your setup and use the assignees option to assign it to yourself. If you can’t assign yourself, leave a comment and an admin will assign the ticket to you
  3. Take a look at the ticket and do as it asks in the “Links” section. For example, in this ticket, its links section points you to this tutorial. You should use your new ROS Jazzy Jalisco setup to run through that tutorial.
  4. Once you complete the links section things will either go smoothly or you will run into problems. Please indicate the results using the check boxes in the “Checks” section of your Github issue.
  5. If everything goes well, note as such in your ticket’s comment section. We ask that you attach your terminal’s output as a code block or as a gist file. At this point feel free to close the ticket by clicking “close as completed.”
  6. If something went poorly, also note it in your ticket’s comment section. Please include a full stack trace or other debug output if possible.
  7. Please fill out the Google form for your first issue so we have your contact information.

If you run into issues please feel free to post them to our discussion board on Github. The testing and tutorial party wraps up on May 15, 2024 , but we’re asking everyone to get started early as we will need some lead time to address any bugs.

Happy testing and thanks for all your help! If you have any questions please include them in the comments.

New: Extra Testing Tools

Thanks to a lot of hard work from folks like @sloretz, @peci1, and @robwoolley this year we’re piloting a couple of new features to expand our testing repertoire. These new testing resources should make Jazzy one of the easiest ROS distros to test ever, and let ROS users dip their toes into Jazzy with a lot less work.

As discussed a few months ago, Shane and Martin have worked hard to create ROS Open Container Initiative (OCI) Docker Images for all supported ROS distros. These unofficial OCI Docker images already have a beta version of Jazzy Jalisco ready to go.

Try ROS Jazzy out on your machine by running:

docker run --rm=true -ti ghcr.io/sloretz/ros-testing:jazzy-desktop bash

The images are updated once per day at UTC midnight. Keep your copy up to date by running:

docker pull ghcr.io/sloretz/ros-testing:jazzy-desktop

We encourage you to use these containers to participate in the T&T Party, or to test Jazzy with your existing ROS project. The official docker images will be available shortly after the Jazzy release.

If you run into issues with Jazzy while using these images or containers to test your personal codebase please use our Jazzy issue tracker to report them.

9 Likes

Hello to the JJ testing team,
Not sure where to post this comment to the git issues, so posting here. When installing Iron for the first time it wasn’t clear from the installation instructions that it only supported Ubuntu 20.04, which I learned through trial and error. Now I see Jazzy Jalisco only supports Ubuntu 24.04.

Perhaps there’s a requirements area of the installation I was too inexperienced to look for, or maybe I missed it elsewhere, but if it’s not there, I suggest that this be added to the installation instructions.

Thanks

1 Like

So it says Ubuntu 24.04 on the front page of the Installation instructions for binaries: Installation — ROS 2 Documentation: Jazzy documentation . But we should probably update the “Building from source” documentation to be clearer; here is a PR to do that.

1 Like

Ah, I was looking at the Debian packages page here. I do see Ubuntu Noble there, but I didn’t connect that with 24.04. This is an experience issue (not familiar with Ubuntu naming).

1 Like

So my distribution of Ubuntu doesn’t have Noble/24.04 yet (I have Pop_OS!) so I’ve got to go with the docker images… Is that than considered AMD64 Nobel as well for the tickets or do I need to make new tickets for these?

1 Like

A Docker image with Noble is totally fine, and is considered testing for Noble.

2 Likes

Another minor documentation clarification: for Windows install, would be helpful to add a reminder for installer to restart the Power Shell/terminal before executing “First upgrade pip and setup tools:”.

1 Like

Connext RMW is only available for AMD64, so all tickets with ‘connext,arm64,noble’ (debian / binary) aren’t testable I presume?

1 Like

I have followed the instructions with my RaspberyPi 5 8GB using the server image of ubuntu 24.04, and successfully instaled ros-jazzy-robot-base.

Is there an official release date for jalisco? I was also able to compile my driver/code with no problem, with the exception of navigation.

Attempts to compile navigation2 from source also failed.

1 Like

For all of these types of questions, please use Jazzy Jalisco Tutorial Testing party questions · osrf/ros2_test_cases · Discussion #1545 · GitHub , so we can keep the traffic off of Discourse.

Thanks!

1 Like

I searched around on the Zenoh RMW and just came from this topic. I don’t see any specific tickets related to testing it. Is it ready for testing? I saw a yadu/tmp_jazzy that seemed like maybe it was being prepped for testing? We are very interested in testing this with our codebase both in sim and on robot in the coming months.

1 Like

rmw_zenoh is not an official part of the Jazzy Jalisco release, so it is not included in the tutorial party. However, we of course welcome testing on it at any time.

3 Likes

Thanks for that @clalancette, do you believe it will eventually be in Jazzy and just not at the moment, or never at all?

1 Like

We hope to release it for Jazzy eventually, though no promises at this time. But you can build it from source and try it out on Jazzy today, if you’d like.

3 Likes

For the testing of documentation, I see labels of AMD64 and Ubuntu Noble. However, I’m a bit limited to the docker image given above and I haven’t managed to get a good GUI forwarding on that one yet (actually a lot of tutorials require some type of gui functionality). I wish I’d be able to upgrade to 24.04 om my laptop but I can’t yet.

Is it okay to do some of the tutorial testing on a raspberri pi 5 with ubuntu 2024, as that is considered a tier1 platform?

@KimMcG

i guess in that case, the test is going to Chip set: ARM64 result technically? @clalancette @marcogg

i thought that there are some issues labeled with Chip set: ARM64, but no such issues at all…Issues · osrf/ros2_test_cases · GitHub :sweat_smile:

are you using X window system? if that is so, -e DISPLAY="$DISPLAY" --volume="$HOME/.Xauthority:/root/.Xauthority:rw" -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix could work for you to test GUI apps.

### host to allow x clients
xhost +

### docker command X bind
docker run -it -e DISPLAY="$DISPLAY" --volume="$HOME/.Xauthority:/root/.Xauthority:rw" -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix --privileged <image_name>

tomoya,

Aha! I was missing the xhost + ! I was looking all over web for this as I had a vague recollection that this was necessary. Google is officially useless now… Thanks a lot @tomoyafujita !

There were actually quite some issues for ARM64 (Github had a bit of an service issue that the search was out a moment ago). but those were just for core functionality, none of the tutorials.

I guess I can continue the testing with the docker fully then :smile:.

1 Like

Bumping this thread. We’re in the home stretch! As of last night 130 or so tickets remain.

If you would like to pick up Jazzy Swag for free there is still time!

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that since we are past 2024-05-15T07:00:00Z the official time of the tutorial party comes to an end. However, we will still keep the remaining issues open for a month and since your contributions are highly valuable, feel free to keep running tests and help improve the Jazzy Jalisco release.

We’ve already closed over 300 issues. Fantastic work, everyone! :partying_face:
Stay tuned for the official release announcement on 2023-05-23T07:00:00Z, where we’ll share more stats and reveal the swag awardees.

Thanks!

Marco.

5 Likes