New Packages for Indigo 2019-04-25

We’re happy to announce 20 updated packages for Indigo. This is planned to be the penultimate sync for Indigo as both it and Ubuntu Trusty are approaching their EOL.

Thank you to everyone who as contributed to this sync. Full details are below.

Package Updates for indigo

Added Packages [0]:

Updated Packages [20]:

Removed Packages [0]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

• Alexander W. Winkler
  • Fabien Spindler
  • P. J. Reed
  • Philipp Schillinger
1 Like

We’re happy to announce 20 updated packages for Indigo. This is planned to be the penultimate sync for Indigo as both it and Ubuntu Trusty are approaching their EOL.

First LTS has expanded possibility of ROS in many ways IMO.

To respect its retirement, I might think about making final releases for packages I maintain. But I might refrain from doing that from stability pespective (releasing patch release will be technically not possible past EOL). What do y’all think?

I was originally thinking of trying to push in a few things in near the end, but then decided that the combined effort and risk is probably not a good idea. Unless there is a critical issue I’d suggest holding off and focusing on one of the newer distros for improvements.

Theoretically after the EOL everyone using it should be moving forward to a new platform. Thus you’re theoretically doing all the work for the potential for people to use it for a week or two.

As we know in reality some people will continue to use it, but as it’s not supported we’re not expecting maintainers to fix things and the builds will be turned off so building from source will become more important. And as people switch to building from source they can then choose to selectively backport things from the future releases that are important to their use cases anyway if it’s necessary.