NSF REU Site on Human-Swarm Interaction

This NSF-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site will support summer research in robotics. Selected student will be supported with $6,000 stipend. Depending on the COVID situation, on site participants would be supported with on-campus housing, food allowance, and travel expenses up to $600.

The intellectual focus of this project is to allow one human operator to effectively manage a large robot swarm to achieve desired global objectives.

During the first-year program (Summer 2019), a swarm testing environment with 50 custom designed robots were developed, along with a simulator and robot interaction rules that allow basic swarm behaviors to emerge. The results were published in 2019 International Conference on Advanced Robotics.

The 2020 program was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

During Summer 2021, students will focus on developing and experimentally testing advanced interaction rules (and program in ROS!) that can enable robot group foraging behaviors. Novel human-swarm interaction modes for managing a large self-organized robot swarm will also be investigated.

Please visit the application website for more details: NSF REU Site | Robotics | West Virginia University
If you are interested, please apply before March 12, 2021.

1 Like

I just want to say that I am a proud NSF-REU alum from all the way back in about 2002! It is a fantastic program and this is a great opportunity for students.

Thanks for letting me know. Hope more students will benefit from these REU programs!

Gu

image001.jpg