Official docker images outdated, resulting in segfaults

Hi Felix,

If I understand correctly the official ros images can be rebuilt only by changing the dockerfile - like adding RUN echo "rebuild this please" to the top. While it would make this crash go away in the short term, long term I don’t think this solves the problem.

If images were manually edited every sync there would always be a significant delay between the sync and the rebuild. During that time many images could be built that are affected by an ABI breakage. In this case the ABI breakage causes a segfault quickly. Next sync a more subtle ABI breakage might corrupt data and go unnoticed. I think it would be safer for downstream dockerfiles to always upgrade their packages when installing additional ros-<distro>-* packages.

RUN apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install -y \
    ros-kinetic-diagnostic-aggregator \
&& rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

Here’s a link to a ticket where @ruffsl asked the docker maintainers to trigger a rebuild of the ros images, and they replied saying they don’t have a way to do so.

This ticket is about automatically changing the version numbers in the dockerfile every sync, and has more info about why it is more difficult than it sounds.