Online ROS Summer School 2020 by FH Aachen, Germany

The registration for the 9th edition of the ROS Summer School by FH Aachen, University of Applied Sciences in Germany is now open.

The event will take place from 2020-08-16T22:00:00Z2020-08-20T22:00:00Z as an online edition.
Due to COVID-19 there will be no presence event this year. Nevertheless we want to continue our annual highly requested Summer School and will try to make it an unique online experience on control a robot using ROS.

Everyone who is interested in Robots and learning ROS is invited. The seats are limited to 20 participants this year and we will teach ROS2 (!).

In this two weeks we are handling the following topics of mobile robotics more in detail:

• ROS2 Basics
  • Communication
  • Teleoperation
  • Transforms
  • Landmark Detection
  • Localization
  • Mapping
  • Navigation

A more detailed time schedule will be released soon, but it will be a full 5-day course.

For parts of the course there will be real robots provided, which can be used to practically test the learned skills by controlling the robots via internet using ROS.

For more details about the contents check our 2017 ROS Summer School Video:

The ROS Summer School is designed to teach participants about how to get started with ROS2; it is created for those who have had an interest in autonomous systems, but didn’t quite know how to get started. With that, organizers recommend students have a basic knowledge of Linux (Ubuntu) and one programming language such as Python or C++. The 5-day program is made possible through Mobile Autonomous Systems and Cognitive Robotics (MASCOR).

Application form, more information, photos and videos can be found on our homepage.

All is organized by MASCOR.

The ROS Summer School is part of the ROSIN project. The ROSIN project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 732287.

9 Likes

Dear Patrick,

I have read the email and the ROS Summer School website. I have just completed my master M1 in robotics and I have interest in attending the courses before my second year of master. I saw that the fees are 750€ but there included beverages and excursions. My question is, as the course will be online, does the cost has been decreased?

Thank you for your time.

Hi Patrick, the registration page seems to be the same as if the School would happen in the local, Is it right?

Hi, I too have the same doubt as Andrea has. Kindly confirm it. Thank you

Welcome Andrea,

yes - the fee will be decreased to 500 €.

Dear Raja and Pedro,

thanks for your request. We have just decided to do an online edition of our ROS Summer School and NO local event. Our website is not yet updated. The newest information is here on ROS Discourse.

Our website might be updated within the next days.

1 Like

Dear Patrick,

May I please enquire if we can still register for this ROS Summer School?

Secondly, for students who need financial aid, are there any options please? If not, can we attend the course at a lower cost without getting the certificate/attend the course as a group of 3 or so with the same price but only one person getting the certificate?

Thank you!

Hello Ravi,

yes, the registration is still open.

And I am sorry, there will be no financial aid from our side.
I am not sure, if I get your second question correct. You can of course sit with a group of 3 in front of your computer, we will anyway not be able to check that.
We will create accounts for every single registration and also assign one robot to one registration. The accounts and the robots can only be used once.

I submitted an application. I wanted to take this course, but the travelling part made it out of reach. I love the opportunity to have online.

I just would like to know if the price will be updated or remain the same?

Is there an option to pay in several installments?

Hello to all.

Any news on the progress of the online summer program?

I have sent an application, but have yet to hear back. I am very interested in this program. Since i live very far away, it is difficult for me to take the course in germany. But via the internet, its a LOT more viable.

I am very very interested. Hope it is still on.

Hi Patrick,

In the course description access to bots for students is mentioned. Since the course will now be online how will access to bots be addressed (if at all)? Is it possible to use one’s own bot and are there specs or recommended kits available?

Thanks,
-David

@ewaldheinsen I was informed that they sent an E-Mail today. It looks like that we currently do not have enough registrations. It needs still to be decided, if the online summer course takes place or not.

Hi @DavidW, the access to the bots will be remote access via internet.

Patrick. yes indeed. I received the emails today. Hoping enough people sign up. I am really looking forward to this course.

Hope it goes ahead.

Hallo,

Are there any updates on the course? Will it be conducted? Have taken vacation for a week from the work. Looking forward to the course!

1 Like

Hi to all!
I am really sorry for the following announcement but we decided to POSTPONE the ROS SUMMER SCHOOL 2020 in Aachen!
Patrick is not available at the moment, so that I have the unpleasant task to inform the coomunity, that we are unable to generate an online version of the well known ROS Summer School here in Aachen. Please find a more detailed explanation here:

I am really sorry for any invonvenience as a result of this decision but believe me, it wasn’t easy to make it.

All the best
Stephan

1 Like