Release Repositories for ROS2

Reproducing message from @EVenator here for visibility:

Thanks to some community efforts, nmea_msgs now has a ros2 branch that builds in Crystal Clemis. nmea_navsat_driver will be following shortly. As far as I can tell, these are the first ROS-drivers packages to be ported to ROS2.

Now I’m looking into blooming both packages for ROS2. The tutorial recommends creating a new -release repo when porting ROS1 packages to ROS2. How do we want to go about this? Should we create a new Github group for ros2-drivers-gbp, or should we make new -ros2-release repositories under ros-drivers-gbp?

If we want to keep using the existing Github group for releases, I’ll need some help from one of the admins (Sam, Jack, Piyush, @Florian_Scholz, or William) to make release repos for the nmea packages.

Cheers,

Ed Venator

Maintainer, nmea_msgs and nmea_navsat_driver

I would not recommend creating a new organization. That will incur significant extra coordination overhead for coordinating the same group. The release repos can get large quickly so I’d suggest just a parallel release repository. At some point it is useful to rotate to a new release repository of the repository gets too large to save time checking it out.

I agree with @tfoote, which means we need some help from the GitHub group owners.

@joq @wjwwood can either of you help me by making ROS 2 release repos for nmea_msgs and nmea_navsat_driver?

Done:

@EVenator I invited you to a team that has access.

2 Likes

@wjwwood - Can you do the same for velodyne? We will have a working release very soon.

Done:

I added you and Mike Purvis, since he was in the team for the ROS 1 release repository too (https://github.com/orgs/ros-drivers-gbp/teams/velodyne-maintainers).

1 Like

I would like to release libg2o into ROS2 (in case wrapping/packaging non-ROS cmake packages with a package.xml file and applying necessary patches is still best-practice in ROS2).
The ROS1 release repository is located in ros-gbp/libg2o-release.
Should we proceed for ROS2 similarly and add it to ros2-gb? Can someone with permissions create the repository, i.e. @wjwwood or @tfoote? Many thanks!

@croesmann I created https://github.com/ros-gbp/libg2o-release and invited you to a team on that organization so you can have access. I may need to tweak your permissions once you accept. Feel free to poke me via email or here you’ve gotten access.

thank you @wjwwood! I got access to the team :slight_smile: