ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 2021-06-17

When inquiring about the community’s interest in starting a ROS working group for Rust, I do recall direct messaging authors of the ROS2 rust client library (both yourself and @lelongg) via discourse (professional email addresses unknown to me) the same day October last year, asking whether you all would prefer leading such a WG.

Proposal: Rust Working Group for ROS

While I did receive a response from @lelongg declining any lead role, citing lost personal time to invest on projects, I interpreted @esteve 's non-response as a decline for similar reasons. Of the responses I did receive about the proposal, only @gbiggs responded with a willingness to commit a fixed number of hours per week to help organize the WG, thus I elicited his help in forming the WG and clearing it with Open Robotics.

To be clear, that invite has never expired, as I’m more than grateful if you or other members would like to take the lead, coordinate WG meeting schedules, agendas, minutes, etc. I merely volunteered for these secretarial tasks as no one else seemed to be available to take the initiative at the time; though currently I am not sponsored to contribute to any FOSS projects.

My only request would be that we do not limit the agenda of the rust WG to only middleware, and remain inclusive with our time and discussions for rust related robotics application software as well, like perception pipelines or navigation libraries using rust. The latter being what personally motivated myself in starting a rust WG, and what I’ve been working on with my spare dev time.

All working group calendar invite lists and events are public, and are open for anyone to subscribe to. Although I can add you as an admin to manage event’s if you’d prefer. With my move from my alma mater, I’ll no longer have EDU access to a pro-business G-Suite, so we’ll likely need someone else to create/host/record our Google Meet sessions so they can be uploaded for community members from conflicting timezones.

5 Likes