ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes 2021-08-19

@Katherine_Scott or @joespeed could you please elaborate on the meaning of this?

I created a table a while ago while announcing the HAWG comparing it to other WGs, so that the value was clear. I was advised not to disclose it at the time, but I keep it handy to ensure we continue adding value to the community. Here’re some of those bits that concern the Edge AI WG (collected from its official documentation):

WG Goal Differences Avenues for cooperation (aka intersection)
Hardware Acceleration drive creation, maintenance and testing of acceleration kernels on top of open standards (OpenCL) for optimized ROS 2 and Gazebo interactions over different compute substrates (FPGAs, GPUs and ASICs).
Edge AI make Edge AI easier and ubiquitous in ROS 2, specifically ML applied to navigation, perception & picking, inspection and motion planning. Acceleration doesn’t focus particularly on AI nor on the more generic ML. Also, Acceleration doesn’t limit itself to edge and considers also workstations, data centers or cloud amongst the mediums. AI-powered algorithms across use cases may benefit from acceleration through specialized compute architectures including DPUs.