ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: September 6th, 2018

meeting_notes
tsc

#1

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: September 6th, 2018

  • Attendees:
    • Open Robotics: Brian, Louise, Dirk, Tully
    • Amazon: Doug
    • Apex: Dejan
    • ARM: Matt S
    • Bosch: Karsten
    • Intel: Matthew, Peter
    • LG: Seonman
    • MIcrosoft: Stuart
    • TARDEC: Calvin, Matt D
    • TRI: Allison

Charter Document

DCO

  • Proposal: Approve use of standard DCO (https://developercertificate.org/)
    • On the following repos:
      • All repos in the .repos file that is used to build a ROS 2 release
        • Exception might be forks of third-party repos (e.g. `uncrustify`)
    • Dirk to lead process:
      • Do announcement on Discourse
        • Explain rationale, say that we’ll take comments now and at ROSCon
      • Flip the switch(es) on the repos
    • Brian to check with LF on process for retroactive application of DCO to existing code.
    • Using the DCO probot (https://github.com/probot/dco) developed by Linux Foundation
    • Bosch’s DCO is based on OSDL
      • The explicit license check in important to worry about
      • From Bosch’s point of view don’t think using LF’s DCO is a blocker.
    • Vote:
      • Approved: All approved, no objections

Update: status on ROS trademark

  • Discussion revived with Open Robotics legal counsel

Crystal roadmap update:

  • New proposed feature list
    • Share the document and make it editable for others to contribute
  • Proposal:
    • Make Crystal LTS
      • 2 years of support, with patch releases
      • Recommend for use with indoor mobile robots
    • Would like companies to review the elements and sign up for line items to target for Crystal
    • How should we make comments?
      • We’ll follow up on discourse with a way to start the discussion online.

Other topics:

  • When will ROS1 be EOL’d?
    • It’s been discussed but don’t know when this will happen.
    • It would be good to have a tentative plan for migration. The longer people can use ROS1 the less motivated they will be to move to ROS2.
      • There will be pushback, but it will at least get the conversation going.
    • What is enough coverage for making ROS2 primary?
    • What is an LTS for us?
      • 5 years for ROS1
      • 2 years for ROS2 for now, will likely extend to 5 years in the future.
  • Open Robotics role
    • As we grow the contributing team the Open robotics team has been requested to be more active in working groups and design and planning instead of directly focusing on direct contributions.
      • Dejan: That’s a good idea, but the whole plan seems overly aggressive.
  • Next meeting?
    • 6 weeks? Maybe mid october
    • Meeting at ROSCon?
      • Action: Tully and Brian will look at options.

Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan
#2

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:50 AM Tully Foote via ros-users
ros-users@lists.ros.org> wrote:

  • When will ROS1 be EOLd?
--   Its been discussed but dont know when this will happen.

--   It would be good to have a tentative plan for migration. The longer people can use ROS1 the less motivated they will be to move to ROS2.

    ---   There will be pushback, but it will at least get the conversation going.

 --  What is enough coverage for making ROS2 primary?

First of all, it is weird that the ROS2 TSC discusses about the
ROS1 EOL. ROS1 is not in the scope of the ROS2 TSC charter, as far
as I read it.

Second, there are enterprises promoting products and services to
customers based on ROS1. It might be preferable if the TSC could avoid
talking in such frivolous manner about the EOL of ROS1, in official
communications. Part of promoting the ROS ecosystem as industry-ready
is a professional handling of communication.