ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS @ Jupyter

8 Likes

Hi @lentinjoseph, thanks for posting this here! If there are any questions about this work, I am happy to respond (I’m the author)!

Wolf

4 Likes

Reading the post, I noticed this:

Nowadays, the Jupyter notebook and the ipywidgets framework offer a compelling alternative for several reasons:

• Code and interface are not separated — both are in the same notebook.

From a separation of concerns perspective this seems like a peculiar comment.

I’m not a Jupyter expert by any means: is there something that makes this a desirable characteristic of the integration?

1 Like

Well, you’re still allowed to put your display logic into a different python import file, and it’s even encouraged to put “library” code into a library file.

But you can also interactively e.g. change your callback function right from the notebook, and make some tweaks to your functions, explore other parameters (e.g. via ipywidgets @interact decorator) … in the exploratory/experimental phase of a project this can be quite productive.

Afterwards, there are projects such as “voila” (http://github.com/QuantStack/voila/) that we’ve started to convert a Notebook GUI to a standalone web application that can be served to customers, for example.

0 Likes