ROS2 speed

While it seems there are some approaches which mitigate / solve the immediate problem reported by @Bernd_Pfrommer, this observation is pretty spot-on:

I don’t have an easy fix, and I fully believe I understand why things are the way they are in ROS 2 – and I also understand that making high-performance networking applications is still complex and needs lots of moving parts to do just the right things in the right way – but seeing what @codebot had to do to get to the performance of @Bernd_Pfrommer’s ‘naive’ ROS 1 implementation makes me sad.

It connects to ROS2 Default Behavior (Wifi) and a few other threads we’ve had about the user experience of ROS 2 compared to ROS 1.

In this case a user actually reached out and asked what he could do better to improve things. In others, that never happens, and ROS 2 is discarded as not-ready, not performant enough or “even worse than ROS 1”.

(on the bright side: it’s consultancy heaven like this. People-in-the-know are in a very good position)

Edit: perhaps ROS2 speed - #19 by codebot and ROS2 speed - #21 by codebot should be turned into a guide in the ROS 2 documentation? Could be a good start for a performance-oriented set of patterns and/or a ROS 2 tuning guide.

It doesn’t seem like there is a lack of knowledge on these subjects. It just seems to be hidden in developer minds and collective experience in organisations.

18 Likes