ROSCon 2024 Denmark Public Transportation

Hi all,

Since this is my 1st time to get to Denmark, I would like to know about public transportation and taxi/ride apps in Denmark, Odense.

I will be landing in Copenhagen international airport, and then what I should take?

• Google tells me that we can take the train from Copenhagen to Odense? This looks the best option, but do we need to reserve the train or just buy-a-ticket-and-go?
  • Is there any recommended ride/taxi app in Odense? seems that they do not have UBER in Denmark?

any information is appreciated, especially from local people!

thanks,
Tomoya

4 Likes

Hi,
I was told you buy a ticket for the train for the day and you can take any train that day, so no worries if you miss it. Tickets are available now.
Cheers,
MartĂ­

3 Likes

Hi!

I’m local(ish), as I currently reside in Malmö, Sweden which is about 2 hours from Odense.

Yes it is just buy a ticket and go on any train! If you get the ticket beforehand you could also reserve a seat, but if that is linked to a train ofcourse. If you miss that one you could just take any other train on the non-reserved seat so no problem there. Do make sure that you enter the DSB trains and not accidently an special international train or something :wink:

I’m planning to take a train to CPH from Malmö from my swedish travel app, and then buy a physical ticket at one of the ticketing offices at CPH central, but you can do the same at CPH airport.

This is the official Danish public transportation website and they have an app: DSB Train | Discover Denmark by train

I don’t know about a specific taxi people would recommend for Odense, but to be honest, its not a big city at all. When I visited this year, everything was very walkable if you managed to get an hotel in the city center. The trainstation to Odeon is a less than 10 minute walk. But here in the Nordics it can be a bit rainy in autumn so keep an eye on the weather and bring a umbrella :smile:.

Looking forward to meet again!

4 Likes

Are trains cheaper if you buy the ticket in advance ?
(This is the case in germany…)

Thanks for this , so what you saying is that we can buy a ticket at the airport . Right?

@JM_ROS I don’t think so. It’s all a fixed price in Den Mark, unlike Germany (and Sweden also actually). At least I’ve just checked and there is no difference in price if I go today vs if I go in October.

@Davis_Ogunsina Absolutely :slight_smile: the red DSB train ticket booths are right next to the train tracks.

@KimMcG @martimorta

thank you very much for the information.

a bit rainy in autumn so keep an eye on the weather and bring a umbrella

Good to know, i will keep that in my mind!

For ride/taxi app, if i can find some information, i will definitely share here.

AI suggests Dantaxi – Dantaxi is one of Denmark's largest taxi services and offers an app that allows you to book rides in many Danish cities, including Odense.
I tried to sign up but I could not register with US phone number… :cry:

thanks,
Tomoya

We updated the ROSCon website earlier in the week with this information. Happy to add additional information if it would help.

Rail Travel Information

1. From Copenhagen International Airport (CPH) to Copenhagen Central Station (København H):
  • Departure Location: Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup Station).
  • Train Type: Regional or Intercity train.
  • Direction: Take any train heading towards Copenhagen Central Station (København H). This journey usually takes around 12-15 minutes.
  • Frequency: Trains run frequently, roughly every 10-15 minutes.
  1. From Copenhagen Central Station to Odense:
  • Departure Location: Copenhagen Central Station (København H).
  • Train Type: Intercity or Regional (DSB).
  • Direction: You will need to board a train heading towards Odense. Many trains travel from Copenhagen to various destinations across Denmark, so check the departure boards for trains heading towards Odense Station.
  • Duration: The trip from Copenhagen Central Station to Odense takes about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes, depending on whether it is an InterCity or a Regional train.
  • Frequency: Trains to Odense run approximately every hour.
  1. Arrival in Odense:
  • Arrival Location: Odense Station (Odense BanegĂĄrd Center).

• Once you arrive in Odense, you can continue to your final destination within the city via bus, taxi, or walking.

• The host hotel, Comwell HC Andersen Hotel is 600 meters from the train station.

• How to Purchase Train Tickets:

• You can purchase tickets at the airport, at any DSB ticket machine, or online on the DSB website or app. You can also purchase at Metro ticket stations using Danish coins and major credit cards.
    • Consider checking schedules and reserving tickets in advance, especially for Intercity trains.
    • From Copenhagen Airport there is a train every hour to Odense.
      • Take train from Kobenhavn H to Odense Station – train is 1 hour and 11 minutes – Price: $22-30
  • Smaller airports near Odense:

• Sonderborg (SDG) – 62.1 km away
    • Billund (BLL) - 86.7 km away
    • Aarhus (AAR) – 101.7 km
4 Likes

Thank you for the information

Kind regards,

Davies .

@JM_ROS Train tickets can be purchased online on the DSB website (they also have an app) and in Denmark there are heavily discounted tickets that are for a single specific departure that you can purchase ahead of time. These are called DSB ORANGE tickets and are non-refundable. There is also a version called DSB ORANGE FRI which are not as heavily discounted, but available to be refunded up until 30 minutes before departure.

Here you can see an example of traveling from Copenhagen Central Station (Københavns Hovedbanegård) to Odense. An Orange Fri ticket is around 20 Euro, but a standard ticket is 46 Euro. If you know when you arrive and plan ahead a bit, you can get a nice discount on the ticket and refund if you cannot make the depature. In that case you will need to purchase a standard ticket as a fall back plan. There’s almost always ticket inspections in longer distance trains and fines are very expensive.

You can read more about the ticket types on the DSB website (also available in English). Here’s the quick breakdown of tickets:

And the more detailed one about DSB Orange Fri (which is the one I would recommend if you know your schedule ahead of time and are willing to faff about with a refund if needed).

Odense is not that large and a lot of things are concentrated in the area around the main train station. The busses in Odense are operated by Fynbus (Fyn being the middle island where Odense is located) and can take you most place you need to go if you don’t want to walk. You can purchase tickets through an app RejseBillet | rejsekort.dk which should also work for most public transport in the country. You can also find more on the links already listed on the roscon website, e.g. How to get around Odense | VisitOdense

P.S. Personally I haven’t used cash or coins for more than a decade and can’t think of a reason to bother with exchanging and carrying cash, but your experience may vary as a tourist vs. a resident.

2 Likes