The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft (www.fraunhofer.de) currently operates 76 institutes and research facilities in Germany and is the world’s leading organisation for application-oriented research. Around 30,000 employees work with an annual research volume of 2.9 billion euros.
The Robotics and Assistance Systems department of the Fraunhofer IPA is one of the largest robotics research laboratories in Europe. The department designs robotic and automation solutions for industrial and commercial applications as well as for the service sector. New key technologies are developed and implemented in innovative industrial robots, service robots and intelligent machines together with industry.
The focus of the Software Engineering and Systems Integration group is the development of methods for modern software paradigms such as open source and AI algorithms in robotics. The group researches and develops model-driven development tools for robotic system integration and test tools for feature tests and benchmarks in robotics. In addition, the group leads the ROS-Industrial Consortium Europe, promoting the use of ROS in industry.
What you do with us
- Develop and research novel methods for software system integration or testing of robot functions
- Supporting activities related to the Robot Operating System, such as advising companies, organising training courses and developing functions and demonstrators
- Gradual assumption of project responsibility and acquisition activities
- Working on open source projects under your own name
- Publication of results in the context of scientific conferences, your possible doctorate and cooperation with local partners such as the University of Stuttgart and Cyber Valley
What you bring with you
- Good Master’s degree in computer science or related engineering course with a focus on software or IT
- Good programming skills in C/C++ or Python
- Experience with ROS and ROS2 or similar frameworks is an advantage
- Confident appearance and strong teamwork and communication skills
- Interest in research and working with industry partners
- Fluent in written and spoken German, English at least B2 level
What you can expect
- Interesting and challenging tasks in applied research and development with close contact to industry
- A high degree of confidence and independence
- Extensive qualification measures to expand technical knowledge, qualifications and personal soft skills
- Freedom to create and implement your own innovative ideas
- Open and direct interaction between colleagues and managers and our humane and positive working atmosphere offer you a reliable basis for ambitious and productive work.
- Opportunities for early management responsibility and doctoral studies
- Opportunities for a funded spin-off / start-up
- First-class equipped experimental fields and excellent equipment
- Flexible working hours and home office
Sorry for potential translation errors!!
Link to the application (German): Wissenschaftliche*r Mitarbeiter*in Robot Operating System (ROS) im industriellen Einsatz