Software-Engineering is your passion? At Fraunhofer IPA in Stuttgart/Germany we offer an exciting position as a
The mission of the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation IPA is to find solutions to organizational and technological challenges, with special focus on the production environment of industrial enterprises. From inception in R&D to pilots in production, we value scientific excellence as much as pragmatic engineering.
Our Robot and Assistive Systems department develops robot solutions and supporting technologies for fields of application such as manufacturing, logistics, and robot-assisted living. A significant example of our work is the Care-O-bot 4 platform, a technology test bed as well as a product by one of our spin-off companies. Other examples include reconfigurable production lines in the automotive domain, and machine-to-cloud software stacks to monitor assets, drive machinery, and optimize production processes.
Software is the key enabler of our vision: open, accessible, certifiable. We actively pursue the topics of open-source, model-based engineering, functional safety as its core traits, in the context of consulting work for best-in-class private customers and of publicly funded projects such as RoboShield, ROSIN supporting the ROS-Industrial Consortium Europe, ScalABLE 4.0, and the Service Robotics Network, to name a few.
The range of research topics and tasks will include:
Industry 4.0 and digital manufacturing technologies
- Vertical integration from machine to cloud: from automation hardware to higher-level infrastructure (MES, ERP)
- Horizontal integration of robotics and automation devices
- Interoperability between community-based and industry-mandated standards, such as ROS, OPC-UA, DDS, PLC open, etc.
Software engineering for robotics
Software engineering methods for robotics, distributed software development, collaboration within open-source communities
Computer-aided deployment of complex software systems
Model-driven engineering techniques for the software development (metamodeling, DSLs, code generation techniques, etc.)
What we expect from you
- Master´s degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Science, or related field, with above average grades
- Excellent analytical and algorithmic skills: clear thinking, clear coding
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken
- Experience in software development for mechatronic systems or embedded systems (PC and/or PLC platforms)
- Proficiency with source control and continuous integration tools
- Knowledge of model-driven engineering approaches
- Ability to cope with stress, tight schedules, underspecified problems
- Good command of German, written and spoken
Please include with your application: cover letter expressing your motivations and ambitions, your CV, copies of all academic qualifications (including school education) and relevant references and certificates.
What you can expect from us
- Opportunity to pursue advanced software engineering in a range of domains within robotics and automation
- Culturally diverse working environment in close contact with top robotics researchers as well as with industrial customers
- Career opportunities such as direct responsibility over projects and staff, scientific work towards a Ph.D. degree, and incubation of start-up companies with direct support of our institute
- Exceptionally well-equipped laboratories and work facilities to enable you to implement and validate your ideas, in one of the biggest robotics departments in Europe.
Have we aroused your interest, and would you like to get to know us better? With your application, you have the chance to learn everything about our work in our department during our selection days and to get to know your future colleagues in person. For more information, please check here.
Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD). Additionally Fraunhofer may grant performance-based variable remuneration components.
The position is initially limited for 2 years
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
For questions please contact:
+49 711 970-1153
Job Reference: IPA-2019-186