The next ROS 2 security working group meeting will be held 2021-05-11T13:00:00Z. We’ll be discussing whether to add PKCS 11 support to ROS, and if so, what changes are needed. The supporting use case is to enable security for a swarm of drones managed from a central base station.
Currently in order to enable communications security, certificates and keys are stored as files on the robot; PKCS would add flexibility to this key management. The DDS communications middleware uses certificates to enable encryption and enforce access rules. Today these are files stored on the robot, but the DDS spec also allows pulling certificates through a PKCS URI. If implemented, this would mean ROS encryption materials could be provided by a smart card, USB token or similar hardware security module.
Feel free to join the discussion!
The ROS Security Working Group meets on the second Tuesday of each month through google meet; meeting times alternate between 13:00UTC and 16:00UTC. Join the google group to receive meeting invitations and updated logistics.
Please feel free to contribute to the next meeting’s agenda.
Some additional links:
- Reach working group members via chat
- See the ROS Events Calendar for other scheduled working group meetings
- Receive @ros-security-wg mentions from github and related conversations
- Find security WG governance and meeting minutes on github
- Recorded meetings are avilable on the ROS 2 Working Groups youtube channel