SROS2 Tutorial | IROS 2018

TL;DR: SROS2 Tutorial at IROS is scheduled the day after ROSCon, so please join us!

Hello everyone!

For those of you who might have missed the news, this morning the WIRED published a ROS relevant article in relation to the present state of security for robotics [1]:

The article touches upon some recent work from Brown University, namly the ROS Internet Mapping Project, that I would also recommend checking out [2]:

The ROS Internet Mapping project is a research work in the Computer Science Department at Brown University to identify instances of Robot Operating System (ROS) available on the public Internet.

In light of this news, I’d like to also take the chance to also plug for the SROS2 tutorial at IROS 2018:

Mo-TUT-4: Securing Robotics with SROS2 (PM)

This tutorial will provide a formal introduction to SROS2 for roboticists as an effort towards advancing the state of security in the robotics community. The objectives of this session will be multifaceted; primary hands-on instruction in setup and use of newer security features and tooling within ROS2, while secondary and tertiary objective include insighting more contributors to join the the project as well as soliciting further feedback.

This will be a half day tutorial on Oct 1st, the day following the conclusion of ROSCon. If you plan on being in Madrid for either ROSCon or IROS 2018, and would be interested in learning and discussing security features for ROS2, I’d encourage you to join us Monday afternoon. In addition to myself, most of the other speakers may also be familiar to you, including: Gerardo Pardo, Bernhard Dieber, Gianluca Caiazza, and Mikael Arguedas.

See y’all soon,
Ruffin

[1] The Serious Security Problem Looming Over Robotics | WIRED
[2] ROS Internet Mapping Project - ROS Internet Mapping Project
[3] SROS2 Tutorial | IROS 2018
[4] https://www.iros2018.org/tutorials

P.S.

I’ve been working on some tutorial material to showcase a bit of tooling I’ve been developing to Procedurally Provisioned Access Control for SROS2. If you want early peak or would like to help battle test it, feel free to check it out and ticket issues:

Update

I’ve uploaded the session slides, linked inline with the schedule, and additional materials to onto the tutorial website [3]. Unfortunately my digital recorder failed, and I lost the audio I attempted to capture during the presentations, but the added reference publications and linked videos should include the same degree of information.

6 Likes

@ruffsl, do you know if ROSCon participants can attend IROS for free?

ROSCon and IROS are septate events, and to my knowledge there are no registration dealings between them. However, you can register for just the tutorials and workshops for IROS, if you do not plan on attending the main confrince, and is significantly cheaper than registering for the whole event. As a reminder, IROS does have discounts for IEEE members, and the at-the-door registration will cost more than if you do it online before hand.

I’m guessing that this workshop will be very well attended. IROS itself doesn’t appear to need registration for a particular workshop other than checking the “I plan to attend” box. Do you have a plan for how to perform the tutorial if it is very crowded?

It’s better if it can be live to broadcast to those who can’t join the session on site. is it possible ?

I sure am hoping so! We haven’t been told our room/capacity yet; I’m guessing the comity is still waiting on reported registrations before allocating convention space. The last time I attended the IROS tutorial/workshop sessions in Hamburg, the sessions attendance ranged widely, from 15 to 60 people. Although, I mostly attended smaller niche sessions, like repeatability and repeatability in robotics, and perhaps its grown bigger since then.

I’ve asked the committee to ensure the room is equipped with enough internet bandwidth for the session. However, in the tutorial materials, I’m going to encourage attendees pre-install/download the appropriate debs and/or docker images before arriving, given a solid network connection at a congested conference should never be taken for granted. Yet I suspect many will still arrive without preparing, so I plan on keeping signed docker image tarballs on some cheap USB drives just for this case.

For some of the local demos, I also plan on bringing our own WiFi router to host the honeypot robot. I’ve also sent some requests to Robotis and The Construct to see if they’d like to lend a few TB3s and virtual environments to help scale the demo for the number of attendees.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to live stream this, but I do plan on screen recording the presenters with audio to upload later, but would really hope folks come and join in person, as we’re allocating quite bit of time towards the end for security discussions and Q/A. I’d like to hear what everyone has to say on some current development issues.

FYI, check the update I’ve edited to the original post above.