ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting #24 (2020/11/18) Minutes

2020/11/18 22:00 UTC

Attendees

  • Geoffrey Biggs (TSC chair)
  • Shinpei Kato (AWF Board)
  • Josh Whitley (AWF)
  • Yang Zhang (Linaro)
  • Jaime Martin Losa (eProsima)
  • Stephane Strahm (Kalray)
  • Larry Dimitrievski (TCS)
  • Daisuke Tanaka (AWF Admin)
  • David Van Geyn (AutonomouStuff)
  • Seonman Kim (LGE)
  • Hiroshi Igata (ODD WG)
  • Adam Dabrowski (Robotec.AI)
  • Dejan Pangercic (Apex.AI)
  • Joe Speed (ADLINK)
  • Christian John (SPC)
  • Yao Zhai (Ziiko)
  • Kasper Meck (Arm)
  • Otake (Macnica)
  • Jeff Johnson (Mapless AI)
  • Ryohsuke Mitsudome (Tier IV)
  • Akihiko Tsukuda (eSOL)

Minutes: Geoffrey Biggs

Action items

Opening remarks and new member introductions (Board)

  • The Autoware Foundation is nearly two years old. The board appreciates the support all members have shown over this time.
  • New premium member: Ziiko
  • New industry member: Wipro

Confirmation of previous minutes

Minutes confirmed

Action items review

  • Produce a roadmap for what to do with our AVP implementation
    • Board
    • Action taken: The board is still working on this with the SPC
  • Request a legal review of the OpenScenario license form the board
    • Geoff Biggs
    • Action taken: Review undertaken by Tier IV; no issues found.
  • Run an extra TSC meeting about a racing ODD
    • Geoff Biggs
    • Action taken: Meeting held

Dejan bids farewell to AWF

  • Apex.AI has left the Autoware Foundation as of two weeks ago.
  • Jan Becker will also resign from the board.

Working group report: Autonomy Software

Still working on merging the integration branch used during the demo to master. Plenty of items for member companies to work on. Going to be calling individual companies in conjunction with the SPC to discuss FTE requirements and what they can contribute.

There appears to be some overlap between the work done to merge in the new architecture being proposed by Tier IV, and the work for the Cargo Delivery ODD. Should we pause the work on the Cargo Delivery ODD while we get the architectural contributions from Tier IV in?

Discussion

  • Q: Is the 1.0.0 release after the maintenance cycle finishes?
    • A: Yes, we need to finish all the maintenance tasks before we can make the 1.0.0 release and then commence the cargo delivery ODD development work
  • Q: Should we develop the new architecture on a branch while using the main branch for the Cargo Delivery ODD?
    • A: The quantity of changes for each is very high, which means that merging the two will be extremely difficult.

Decisions

We will work on the Cargo Delivery ODD on the main branch of Autoware.Auto. As we work on new features for the Cargo Delivery ODD, we will look at Tier IV’s proposals and find parts we can use to satisfy those features, using individual feature branches to bring them in. Josh will be the arbiter of when to bring in which features.

Working group report: Operational Design Domain

Using the tools provided by Tier IV, the members started creating the machine readable scenarios which support Cargo Delivery ODD. The tools including GUI editor have been improved and ported to ROS2.

Each member is responsible for creating about 10(ten) scenarios. Some of the members have finished editing the scenarios and are in the review phase.

We’re starting to use the Gitlab project which Josh kindly prepared to handle these scenarios. Currently, we’re using the ODD WG Google drive shared folder.

As we planned, we expect to have the comprehensive set of the scenarios by December 1st, and after some cleanup, we will be handing it over to the Software working group.

After that, we’ll start discussing how we can accommodate E2E simulations including LGSVL and the scenario formats which can handle more abstract scenarios.

FTE activity reports review

FTE activity reports 2020_11_18.pdf (72.1 KB)

Autonomous Cargo Delivery Development Plan

Meetings to kick-off merging the new architecture proposal into Autoware.Auto

  • Meeting 1: Week of November 23rd
    • Go over work left for the current maintenance milestone
    • Conclude discussion of Autoware Architecture Proposal
    • Organize teams, sprints and regular meetings
  • Meeting 2: Mid-december
    • Figure out the status of ODD development
    • In-depth presentation about the features of the new architecture proposal
    • Decide on the process for porting features from the new architecture proposal to Autoware.Auto
    • Decide on the test framework for integration and system testing
      • CI
      • Simulation

Work Plan for Cargo Delivery ODD.pdf (410.1 KB)

Hiring a project manager

In order to reduce the project management burden on Josh and allow him to concentrate on implementation and architecture issues, the AWF is hiring a project manager. The job description is available here.

Racing ODD

A proposal from ADLINK to add the IAC/Racing ODD in addition to the Cargo Delivery ODD. This was discussed in the previous TSC meeting and the extra TSC meeting that occurred in October.

Decision

Approved by consensus.

Reviving the Autonomy Hardware Working Group

Hardware Working Group Reinstatement

Interest from the market to have a hardware / software baseline

  • Document Existing ODD reference points (AVP, future Parcel Delivery, etc.)
  • Develop next generation reference designs
  • Consider good, better, best configurations for these ODD’s
  • Consider a cost optimized developer platform, eg. Redesigned F1 10th
  • Develop a hardware catalogue, where to purchase? Timing? Cost, etc?
  • Develop a Hardware Certification to meet AWF requirements

Re-establish working group with companies focused on hardware, sensor-based solutions.

  • ADLink & ARM have agreed to co-lead this group
  • SPC chair and co-chair will support the strategy development and will periodically review the progress
  • Identify an additional 3-4 members
  • With TSC approval, the kickoff could take place in the Dec 1, 2020 timeframe

Decision

Restart the Autonomy Hardware Working Group with Joe Speed (ADLINK) and Rod Watt (Arm) as leaders.

TSC Chair and Board Member elections

An election will be held for the TSC chair in December 2020/January 2021. More details will be given in the December TSC meeting, when nominations will be opened.

An election for board members will be held in December.