Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting #38 (2022-01-19) Minutes

2022/01/19 22:00 UTC


  • Ryohsuke Mitsudome (TSC Chair)
  • Shinpei Kato (AWF)
  • Yang Zhang (AWF)
  • Bobby Hambrick (AWF)
  • Jim Liu (AWF)
  • Girish Shirasat (AWF)
  • Daisuke Tanaka (AWF)
  • Christian John (SPC)
  • M. Fatih Cırıt (AWF)
  • Xinyu Wang (AWF)
  • Bonolo Mathibela (AWF)
  • Hiroshi Igata (ODD WG)
  • Wojciech Jaworski (Simulation WG)
  • Stephen Li (Autocore)
  • David Van Guyen (AutonomouStuff)
  • Naoyori Tanzawa (Tier IV)
  • Akihiko Tsukuda (eSOL)
  • Michael Li (ITRI)
  • Lokesh Kumar Goel(LGE)
  • Steve Lemke (LGE)
  • Armağan Arslan (Leodrive)


Action items

Board Passdowns (5min)

Membership renewal is ongoing

  • Application for review
    • Eve Autonomy
    • Upower
    • Agile X
    • PixMoving
    • Foxconn
    • Sony
    • Marvell


  • Armagan: There should be a webpage for new members for on-boarding
  • Shinpei: We should have a goal of each work group posted somewhere
    • We already have them in AutowareFoundation Wiki
  • IV2022 proposal deadline is approaching. OC to handle

Confirmation of previous minutes

Action items review

  • TSC Chair Election
    • Ryohsuke MItsudome to continue as TSC Chair

Working group report: Autonomy Software (10 min)

  • Cargo ODD
    • Working mainly on MS10(Cleanup and technical debt reduction)
    • Would be probably taking until February to finish the cleanup & finalize documents
    • Would stop development on Autoware.Auto after this release
  • Bus ODD
  • Others
    • TomTom would be sharing their updates on connecting their AutoStream map service with Autoware in the next Software WG call.


  • Yang: What’s the status on Core/Universe
    • For unvierse, we have all Tier IV packages merged in Core. We are also working on moving Autoware.Auto packages into Universe
  • Shinpei: We should have all design documents ready before writing codes. We should also review the development pipeline.

Working group report: Operational Design Domain (10 min)

  • Started more detailed discussion of the use cases of the public road bus service based on ITRI‘s information as well as the detailed information from the shuttle bus project of Tier IV group.
  • Analyzing the video which ITRI kindly provided from its experiment to identify the additional issue/use case to be addressed.
  • The discussion topics include the following.
    • Precise docking (at the bus stops)
    • Larger turning radius of the bus
    • Special traffic signals including arrows
  • Plan to have another walkthrough of the scenario tools after the integration of the scenario simulator and the Autoware (Core) is confirmed, then assign the use cases to the working group members to create machine-readable scenarios.
  • Plan to prepare the basic set of the machine readable scenarios for the public road bus ODD in February.


  • Armagan: If scenarios are defined by ODD WG, then shouldn’t they also define the test plan for the actual vehicle as well? In the previous ODD, Eve Autonomy took lead, but we might want ODD WG to take the lead.
    • Hiroshi: We can discuss between ASWG and ODD WG.
    • We should come up with acceptance tests for the ODD.

Working group report: Hardware (10 min)


  • Armagan: Can we contact manufacturers to give presentations on their products that are used by Autoware?
    • Action Item: Ryohsuke to reach out to the companies to join the call with the help of SPC
    • Armagan: can we also publish the presentation to youtube?
      • I have to ask each company for confirmation
  • Yang: What does it mean that some materials from Joe Speed was lost?
    • Action Item: Ryohsuke to contact ADLINK and give updates in the board meeting.
    • All the AWF materials should be uploaded to AWF GDrive.

Working group report: Simulation (10 min)


  • Steve: Integration of scenario_simulator_v2 with LGSVL is done and the code is available. There is still discussion if we can make them public.
    • If it is difficult to share as a repository, it can still be shared as a zip file on GDrive.

Working group report: Racing (10 min)

  • Racing Workgroup · Autoware.Auto · GitLab
    • Continuing on connecting F1TENTH with Autoware.Auto
    • Haoru also joined to make the integration faster
    • We are planning to have hackathon in February
    • Also planning to promote F1TENTH + Autoware in ICRA
    • Work on setting up AWS + SVL instance for education program
      • All the functionality on SVL is already available so we should be able to do the hackathon
    • EV Grand Prix


  • Ryohsuke: We would still need to think about how we can provide the cloud simulation education kit after June.

Working group report: Open AD Kit (10 min)

FTE activity reports review (10 min)

LG’s SVL Simulator: Sunset Plan(Lokesh)

LG has made the difficult decision to suspend active development of SVL Simulator.

Our engineering team has been directed to focus on other areas which are more strategically important to LG’s business and that unfortunately means that we will not be able to continue working on SVL Simulator.

Because of this, we will not be renewing our membership in the Autoware Foundation for 2022, and will also be withdrawing from ongoing participation in several AWF working groups.

We will share more details on the web site including timeline and Q&A following the announcement at the AWF TSC meeting.

At this point, there are no plans for any new or bug-fix releases of SVL Simulator in 2022.

That said, we will make a reasonable effort to keep the SVL Simulator websites up and running through at least Thursday, June 30, 2022 (and potentially beyond that).

We do not plan to remove the SVL Simulator source code project (and related plug-ins) from GitHub. The open source project and source code will remain available for anyone who wants to build (or modify) SVL Simulator.


  • What would it mean for Autoware?
    • There is no change in license terms
    • LG wouldn’t mind people forking the repository to continue modifying the code.
  • Right now the SVL simulator requires login to the cloud. Can we run it on local machine?
    • We will be addressing this in Q&A with the announcement
    • The user maybe able to use the local asset and load them through the command line. We do not have resource to make every asset&UI to make them open source.
  • Are there any replacement for the simulator with active support?
    • Tier IV also have E2E simulator development project. We can share video later.

Cargo Delivery Demo (Ryohsuke)

Autoware Universe/Core Update (Ryohsuke)

Planning to have initial instructions/setup ready for developers to start development from February

Autoware Reference Design Updates (Tanzawa)

The purpose of Open AD Kit and Reference Design.pdf (1.2 MB)

  • What would be the next step forward?
    • Tanzawa: We should have a development timeline for Bus ODD and share that among ASWG, ODD WG, OpenADKit WG, Hardware WG and come up with how we can collaborate together
  • Armagan: Could you explain the concept of OpenADKit and the reference design?
    • Shinpei: The reference design should be defined by usecases(scenarios)
      • The reference design should be copyable and modifiable
      • Open AD Kit would include DevOps platform to implement/achieve usecases
    • Armagan: are there any use case finalized for Cargo Delivery?
      • Ryohsuke: We don’t have finalized document yet. That’s why Tanzawa-san organized the deliverables for the OpenADKit. We will be working on this during Bus ODD project.
      • Shinpei:Open AD Kit would include a reference set of hardware/software, CI for development,