ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

What is the fashionable approach to monitor robot status over a webpage?

Hello,

I’m planning on developing a webpage so I can quickly assess the status of my robot without having a terminal.

I’ve seen the following suite of capabilities:
https://github.com/RobotWebTools

Are these still the most up to date framework? They have some projects without commits for two years.

What is the community using nowadays?

Thank you,
PY

You might look at Robot Commander, which runs on Android. There is also an older version for a workstation.

Possibly overkill.

Both use RobotWebTools

Which aspects of your robot do you want to monitor? Are you looking for something like rviz for web or a dashboard approach like rqt, e.g. for plotting values?

If you are dealing with an industrial robot arm you might have a look at Rosvita (Videos) which is currently in beta. Rosvita has a JS front-end that includes a 3D WorldView (visualization similar ro rviz) and a heart-beat based system status monitor (see package xamla_sysmon at github). The system monitor ensures that criticial components are responding (e.g. robot moves are disallowed when a gripper is not ready in order to prevent crashes).

Rosvita uses a custom ROS to Javascript bridge independent of RobotWebTools. Access to this JS lib will be provided in the near future for custom HMI developments. If you are interested contact me.

[My opinion is biased since I am a member of the Rosvita dev team.]

Thank you for this information.

I’m considering monitoring a robot deployed on a small form factor computer. I feel webinterface will be more scalable - any device can connect. Stop/starting services, looking at critical topics for diagnostics, all nodes up…

Thank you!

Rosbridge with a simple JavaScript webpage works for me.