Buildfarm Emails

Just found a bunch of emails from the build farm in my spam folder, and am posting this so that other people are aware that they might end up there.

I noticed that these emails were not signed by build.ros.org, so its plausible that something in the email config needs to be updated to reflect the key change.

Thanks for reporting this @DLu. We need to make some additional configuration changes so that emails from the new build farm deployment conform to current email origin standards. I’ll try to get them deployed today.

Bumping this old topic as I’ve recently noticed a very similar/related issue - in particular that the Sender IP is on the DUL spam list. I posted details in a ROS Answers question (Buildfarm email IP on spam list [closed] - ROS Answers: Open Source Q&A Forum):

Recently, I changed my email address for packages I maintain and stopped receiving build failure notifications. After some research with the IT support, it turned out that the ROS buildfarm Sender IP (54.219.158.247) is on the DUL spam list. As a workaround, I’ve changed my email address in the package.xml but presume this affects anyone whose email provider strictly enforces the DUL spamlist.
The suggestion we’ve received is to have the ISP hosting the buildserver to contact dul@mail-abuse.com and get 54.219.158.247 removed from the DUL.
Would it be possible for OSRF to do this or is this impossible as it’s on AWS?

I’ll submit our info through the proper channels and see if we can get removed from the list.

Thanks for the report.

It would be interesting if we could find out how it ended up on the spam list. I assume somebody repeatedly got emails by the ROS buildfarm because they were still listed as maintainer in some package.xml, and instead of getting their mail removed from the package.xml, they clicked some “report spam” button.

Maybe we could add a footer to the Jenkins emails that explains why someone is getting this email and how to “unsubscribe”? Although probably 50% of people who are confused why they get those mails will not scroll to the bottom. Still, is it feasible (and easy) to provide a simple one-click “unsubscribe” method that’s easier than opening a pull request to remove one’s email? Just a suggestion.

1 Like

The list in question is different: It’s just a list of dynamic IP ranges which were uncertain about the applicability to our IP allocation.

I’d agree with possible. But unless this is provided by a Jenkins plugin or setting for this I don’t think easy is the right description of what it would take to solve it.

I greatly hope that people understand why they’re getting the emails. As they have set themselves as a maintainer and submitted their packages to the index for testing and or building. If there’s more clarifications we could add please consider making a suggestion.

It’s better for the community to remove yourself from the maintainer status so that it’s publicly communicated that you are no longer maintaining the package and someone else can pick it up, instead of just blocking the notifications that are a valuable part of the package QA process letting you know that there’s been a failure. We work hard to have a very low false positive rate on notification emails. If anyone is getting false positive emails please ticket them.

Alternatively you can also disable the tests or builds that are running to avoid the notifications. This will save us the effort of running the tests if the notifications are unwanted or going to be ignored.

Thanks for the clarification. So that kills my theory that somebody kept clicking on “report spam”. This is a good thing, because it means that we don’t need to take any steps in that direction to avoid getting back on that anti-spam list.

I totally agree that we should expect (former) maintainers to figure out why they are getting those emails and how to stop it if it no longer applies to them. :slight_smile:

Has the mailhost been put on the spam list again?

Kdev__fanuc_experimental__ubuntu_xenial_amd64/8 failed, and it claims to have sent a notification to the maintainer’s email address, but I haven’t received anything (failure is strange as well: ros-kinetic-moveit-core can’t be found).

I’ve checked spam folder(s) (there are multiple apparently for my account), but it’s not there.

According to ers.trendmicro.com/reputations, 54.219.158.247 again has a Bad reputation.

To the best of my knowledge it was never removed. I have not received a response to my initial query.

Since the last update on this thread the action taken has been to request removal from the dynamic user list and contact our service provider to update the PTR record for the build.ros.org mail exchanger so it matches our mail hostname.

@gavanderhoorn may I contact you off-list to ask about additional information to aid in tracking these deliverability issues?

Of course. What do you have in mind?