As most Autoware users now know, the Autoware Foundation is working on the next generation of Autoware, known as Autoware.Auto.
In order to focus our development resources on Autoware.Auto, the Autoware Foundation’s Technical Steering Committee has taken a decision on the end-of-life date for Autoware.AI (the current generation of Autoware).
The dates have been set as follows:
From now: Only minor releases will be made (1.14, 1.15, 1.16, …) with the number of releases to be determined by the maintainers based on having something to release.
- This means that API-breaking features cannot be released.
End of 2020: Autoware.AI will enter maintenance mode. This means that:
- No new features will be added
- Bug fixes will be made if necessary (e.g. critical bugs, safety-relevant bugs)
- Only patch releases (1.15.1, 1.15.2, etc.) will be made
- End of 2022: End of life. No releases will be made and no merge requests accepted. The source will still be available if someone wishes to fork and maintain it themselves, but the Autoware Foundation will not commit any resources to maintaining Autoware.AI beyond this date.
We currently expect to reach feature parity between Autoware.Auto and Autoware.AI by the end of 2020. Users of Autoware.AI are encouraged to begin planning their transition to Autoware.Auto this year so that they can be fully transitioned by the end of 2022.
We also encourage any current and future contributors to consider making their contributions to Autoware.Auto rather than Autoware.AI.