Internship at Open Robotics - Spring/Summer 2021

Join our team in developing open source software for robots!

We are seeking motivated, friendly, collaborative individuals with excellent software skills and an interest in robotics.

All internships will be remote work. You can find more information and a link to submit your application here!

The application deadline is January 24th.

11 Likes

Are there any internship programs in OSRF for students living outside the US?

1 Like

Sit tight, Google Summer of Code (GSoC) announcements will come out soon. GSoC is open to all students world-wide. The website lists the key program dates.

1 Like

Good news, I just spoke to HR, we’re going to try and open up the program to all students. I would plan to apply to both programs (we get a lot of applications). Remember that persistence pays off; we certainly get more qualified students than we have mentors.

4 Likes

Sir, I have a look at the internship announcements. I am relatively new to ROS but I have experience with it and all the mentioned nice to have features but what I am curious about is what is expected from interns exactly? I am relatively new so I don’t want to apply for an internship that I have not qualified for.

1 Like

Well, first, I wouldn’t assume we’re all sirs. :wink:

Due to time constraints we don’t publish every potential intern project. We’ll try to match up student abilities and interests with projects we wish to complete. I have two bits of advice I give to all my students:

1. Apply to everything that interests you; let the mentors/hiring manager judge if you are “qualified”. Early on in your career I don’t think it is wise to censor yourself based on your own beliefs about a project. Sometimes interest, determination, and aptitude are more important than qualifications.

2. The best way to get ahead is to try and contribute to an open source project. This let’s mentors get familiar with you and your capabilities; and it let’s you get more familiar with open source development. If you are already using a few ROS packages that’s a great place to start.

Other than that I would look to recent and future ROS and Ignition releases to get a sense of what we’re working on or will be working on in the future.

8 Likes

I am really sorry, by referring to “sir” I directed to post owner Jacob. :smiley:
Never thought that way, you are absolutely right. Thank you for this positive feedback

2 Likes

Is this mostly for students? And is it paid or unpaid? I ask because I am currently working as a software engineer, I have been out of college for some time, but am looking to transition into robotics. I am taking a nanodegree in robotics at Udacity. Thanks!

2 Likes

… to work on a fleet of really fast ROS 2 robots that go 89 m/sec

2 Likes

The position is targeted at early-career engineers, not necessarily students. It is a paid internship.

You may also want to check out our Software Engineer: Robotics (all levels) position.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response! I applied to the engineer role.

-Taylor

2 Likes

Can someone please confirm whether the link is not working or the application is closed as the last date was mentioned to be 24th Jan. Thank You.

2 Likes

Link is still working for me. I am not sure if it needs to be taken down or not.

Just a heads up, the application portal is now closed. If you missed it we’ll have another opportunity with Google Summer of Code in a few weeks.

1 Like

That’s really great. Thank you for your response :smile:

1 Like

hello @Katherine_Scott ma’am , @jacob sir , are there any internships available at your disposal ? , It would be greatly helpful if you may let me know about them .

2 Likes

To my knowledge we are not planning to have internships this year.

2 Likes