I have brought new project news related to ROS2.
The name of this project is XEL Network
"XEL" is a word derived from the robot actuator “DYNAMIXEL” and uses the characteristics of DYNAMIXEL communication.
The main concept of this project is to standardize it so that robot hardware can be configured more easily using the features of DDS used in ROS2.
The GOALS of this project are as follows.
- Generalization of Software Mechanism in Robot Development with Embedded Technology.
- Complete open source hardware.
- Simpler and easier robot development through the above goals.
The main FEATURES of this are as follows.
- Support ROS2(DDS using microRTPS)
- Plug And Play
- Daisy chain connection
And our ROADMAP is as follows.
- Support ROS2 (Publisher and subscriber are implemented)
- Plug And Play (Implemented using the DYNAMIXEL protocol. Additional supplement needed.)
- More sophisticated real-time performance.
- Supports various message types.
- Support GUI program (XEL Manager)
- Support IDE likes Arduino for user customizing.
- Support multi topics on one device. (Currently, only one topic per one is possible.)
What has been developed so far is only a simple function, and it requires a lot of function addition, stabilization and optimization.
But, as one of our goals is a complete open source hardware, we would like to develop it with anyone interested in this project. So I post this here that this project is there and it has progressed to this extent.
Here are the GitHub repositories that are currently open.
For more information on this project, please refer to the following wiki document.
We specially thanks to ROS2 developers and ROS community and eProsima developers.