There was a discussion in TSC Meeting regarding Autoware’s map storage format.
Parkopedia is in favor of using OpenDrive, but I think we should do more investigation/discussion about this.
Let’s use this thread for discussion.
Project update: Map format (Parkopedia/Tier IV/Apex.AI)
- The OpenDrive format is very widely used in industry.
- It’s so common that the Navigation Data Standard (NDS) organisation has commissioned a converter between OpenDrive (an XML format) and NDS format (an
- OpenDrive is being standardised within an organisation called The Association for the Standardisation of Automation and Measuring Systems, which is part of the OpenDrive Forum.
- Parkopedia’s proposal:
- Use OpenDrive (which is also supported by CARLA) as a map storage format
- Continue the lanelets2 work as the library we use to read maps from disc
- Create some OpenDrive maps for environments (car parks)
lanelets2is just a library, and it reads from and writes to the OpenStreetMap format. In principle it should be able to make it read from and write to OpenDrive maps.
- OpenDrive format is a single format on which we can concentrate our efforts.
- We need to investigate how much of the features we need OpenDrive covers.
- Parkopedia has not done a complete investigation, but the impression so far is that it covers more of the features we need than OpenStreetMap.
• Parkopedia will start a discussion on Discourse about this topic.