As a Motion Planning Scientist at PickNik Consulting you will determine where academic research can be applied to solve our client’s problems and identify opportunities for innovation. You will be developing software applications, optimizing advanced algorithms, and integrating solutions for our clients, internal products, and flagship open source projects. Duties will include developing sophisticated motion planning and controls software in a variety of languages and platforms that will be used on robots around the world (and in outer space!).
Am I a good fit?
- You love robotics and have a passion for creating the next generation of robot software
- Are excited to be part of a small team of experts with a steady flow of client projects
- Should work efficiently, be ready to learn, and have great attention to detail
- Desire to contribute to open source projects solving big problems
- Ability to collaborate with teams around the world
- Ideally would be living in or willing to relocate to Boulder/Denver to foster a great team learning environment. Remote work arrangement with quarterly onsites possible.
- Masters or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or a related field focused on motion planning and controls
- Deep theoretical understanding of motion planning, inverse kinematics, and/or control systems
- Proven track record of innovation in applying algorithms and advancing robotics
- Strong C++ experience and familiarity with at least one scripting language, preferably Matlab or Python
- Demonstrated ability, either through previous projects, advanced education/research, and/or knowledge of the robotics field
- Experience with MoveIt!, OMPL, OpenRave, Drake or similar motion planning frameworks
- Be able to travel approximately every other month to client sites & conferences. Less than 20% of the time. Remote team: in addition, visit Boulder office at most 4 times per year
Some preferred skills/experience:
- ROS, Gazebo, or other robotic libraries are advantageous
- Common open source libraries and tools such as Eigen and Boost
- Git ninja skills